60hz HDMI input showing as Display 1, but I want my 144hz to be Display 1.

Connote

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Hey guys.

When I go into my Display settings, My second monitor (60hz) shows as Display 1 (1) and my newer, 144hz shows as Display 2 (2).

This is an issue as whenever I have to use 1 monitor, It always just uses the 60hz one.

It's kind of just a pet peeve which is really bugging me.

Both monitors are connected to my 1060 6GB GPU.

Solution

Have you tried plugging in the 144Hz display into the HDMI port and the 60Hz display into the DVI-D port? The assignment of the numbers 1 and 2 don't really matter.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel's Setup multiple displays have you set your 144Hz display as the Primary display?

NVIDIAControl_Panel_Setup_Multiple_Displays.jpg

Connote

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
144hz (Main display) is connected via DVI port I believe the one with loads of square holes and the 1 line, and the 60hz (2nd monitor) is connected via HDMI.

Have you tried plugging in the 144Hz display into the HDMI port and the 60Hz display into the DVI-D port? The assignment of the numbers 1 and 2 don't really matter.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel's Setup multiple displays have you set your 144Hz display as the Primary display?

NVIDIAControl_Panel_Setup_Multiple_Displays.jpg

Solution

Connote

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Yes, It's the main display just really wish it would label as 1 rather than 2.

Any way to do this specifically?

People have been trying to find a solution to the ID number assignment problem for years. I still haven't seen a working solution.

The numbers are just arbitrary assignments, they're just for identifying which display is which so you can tell the OS how the monitors are arranged physically. It's just based on which ports the monitors are plugged into. The number assignments don't actually do anything though.

The ID numbers are only temporarily assigned. If you were to unplug the 60Hz display then the 144Hz display becomes number 1. Once you plug the 60Hz display back in it will become number 1 and the 144Hz display will be reassigned to number 2 automatically. It is not user controlled.