Question 60hz on my 144hz monitor is not smooth

Pbably

Prominent
Apr 4, 2020
I have a lc24fg73fqmxuf (144hz) monitor and when I set it to 60 hz it doesn't feel smooth on desktop and games. I've also watched 60 fps videos and they feel smoother than my desktop.
I wonder why.

Why are you running it at 60hz? Thats the reason it does feel as smooth and the reason videos look fine is because they are 6 0fps to match the 60hz where as moving a mouse or playing games can exceed that.

your monitor also has freesync, so set it to 144hz, and enable freesync in the Radeon settings or if you have a Nvidia card turn on Adaptive Sync in the Nvidia control panel

Pbably

Prominent
Apr 4, 2020
Why are you running it at 60hz? Thats the reason it does feel as smooth and the reason videos look fine is because they are 6 0fps to match the 60hz where as moving a mouse or playing games can exceed that.

your monitor also has freesync, so set it to 144hz, and enable freesync in the Radeon settings or if you have a Nvidia card turn on Adaptive Sync in the Nvidia control panel
I can't get 144+ fps on every game. Sometimes I want to just set it to 60hz to keep my fps higher than my refresh rate.

I can't get 144+ fps on every game. Sometimes I want to just set it to 60hz to keep my fps higher than my refresh rate.

This is what Free-sync and Gsync are specifically for.

Enable 144hz.

Second be sure Freesync is enabled on the monitor itself via the onscreen display (the display you activate via the buttons on your monitor) Some monitors will have the feature always on some will have a toggle.

Finally In the Nvidia Control panel turn on "Adaptive Sync".

After that you can have all the benefits of 144hz with non of the draw backs of not hitting the framerate.