[SOLVED] 60hz vs 120hz for consoles

Oct 7, 2020
Please help!
I’m looking to game on the next gen consoles. I’m not very tech advanced anyhow my question is this. If a console puts out 60fps am I better getting a 60hz tv? Or should I go for a 120hz tv? Obviously I want the best gameplay possible will the least amount of lag. So basically is there any benefit whatsoever getting a 120hz tv or will it be offset with lag? Will it make the gaming experience worse or better?
Any input would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
Yes in theory the 120 would be better. It depends how much you care about graphics. The 120hz will capture motion better due to its higher refresh rate.
Oct 7, 2020
Yes in theory the 120 would be better. It depends how much you care about graphics. The 120hz will capture motion better due to its higher refresh rate.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Good response luke... If you are a hard core AAA titles gamer then you will notice the buttery smooth 120hz with no lag. The only way that 60hz would be a better option is if you have a weak rig that can only dish out 60fps locked on avg. In that case a 120hz is a waiste.💯👀👽👶

Developers for the XBSX and PS5 have mentioned there will be so-called "performance modes", though this may target 60 FPS minimum. I don't expect developers to target 120 FPS unless they're making twitch shooters or the like and I don't blame them.

However, what would be more interesting is consoles supporting variable refresh rate to take advantage of TVs that have FreeSync or HDMI VRR support. That would provide a more pleasant experience.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I think consoles are 4k 60fps so not sure if a 120hz tv is gonna benefit much.
Unless they start making consoles run 120fps with games
Yup you are so correct. Currently there is no hardware that can run hardcore AAA titles at 120fps to match the 120hz display. Your lucky if you get 60fps without any drops or stutter. Good choice going with the higher refresh rate. Just play at 2k resolution and use all AA methods and high settings on the game depending on the game and enjoy a freakin smooth as butter experience with zero lag. As I said earlier 60hz only makes sense if you have a weak rig that can't dish out the frame rate to match the refresh rate ya know.

We won’t know until they launch but allegedly 4K 120Hz is a thing for next gen consoles but how many games will support 100+ FPS is anyone’s guess. However they also support 1440p 120Hz and that seems more feasible. While it is best to run the native resolution of the TV the 2019 & 2020 LG OLED’s do a brilliant job of upscaling 1440p 120Hz/FPS.

Oct 7, 2020
It’s interesting the tv is 120hz but in the specs. Under hdmi input resolution it shows 4K at 60hz only 2k @ 120hz so it’s not a 4K native 120h it’s a native 2k 120hz or 4K native 60hz. So by that I’m thinking 4K gaming on the console should be good should run technically pretty fine. I could then drop to 2k and get the 120hz it will be interesting to see how they both go. I like the idea of 2k 120hz. It will be awesome to try out both resolutions and hz rates

It’s interesting the tv is 120hz but in the specs. Under hdmi input resolution it shows 4K at 60hz only 2k @ 120hz so it’s not a 4K native 120h it’s a native 2k 120hz or 4K native 60hz. So by that I’m thinking 4K gaming on the console should be good should run technically pretty fine. I could then drop to 2k and get the 120hz it will be interesting to see how they both go. I like the idea of 2k 120hz. It will be awesome to try out both resolutions and hz rates
What TV is it? Sounds like it’s HDMI 2.0.

dimtodim

Reputable
Please help!
I’m looking to game on the next gen consoles. I’m not very tech advanced anyhow my question is this. If a console puts out 60fps am I better getting a 60hz tv? Or should I go for a 120hz tv? Obviously I want the best gameplay possible will the least amount of lag. So basically is there any benefit whatsoever getting a 120hz tv or will it be offset with lag? Will it make the gaming experience worse or better?
Any input would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Will be more smooth on 120hz go for better ❤

TRENDING THREADS