6100 still reading after being removed

Nosyt

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Hello again all. I'm back with another (hopefully not silly) question.

My friend just bought a new BFG 8800gt card. We removed his previous drivers from his ATI 6100. Then downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDIA and installed. He started up his game and noticed there wasn't any change in framerate. Finally after a lot of searching, we found out that the computer still thinks the 6100 is installed. It's not reading the 8800 at all.

We can't figure out why it's still reading this. We used driver cleaner to wipe all ATI and NVIDIA components.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

There is no such thing as an ATi 6100. Was it an X1600?

A Geforce 6100 is usually intergrated into the MoBo, and there's no way of removing it. You can disable it, but even if it were enabled it shouldn't affect the framerate unless you are plugging into the MoBo's VGA/DVI connection.

I think he needs to re-examine his setup and be sure of what he had, has, and is being seen by his computer.

Nosyt

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
We went into the bios and selected the "PCI configuration option" It was set to PCIEX already... so we tried setting it to PCI Slot but that didn't help at all. Is that what you're talking about when you say "switch display to PCIe?"

It's a Nvidia 6100. Not sure why it has ATI all over the place on the card. Oh wow... I'm a complete idiot. I now see that what we removed that has ATI all over it... never mind. It's not a graphics card.

So it appears that the Geforce 6100 is onboard. And it's refusing to read the 8800 because of that? How do I disable that?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

No you're supposed to put it on PCIEX, not PCI. In some motherboard like mine, it's PEG.

There should be an option that disables it. It should be called something like On Board Video or something.

Nosyt

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Okay so I just found out my friend was plugging it into the standard "blue" plug in slot and not the video card. So I tried plugging it directly into the video card (DVI) slots but the monitor doesn't turn on now. It gets no signal.

I went into the bios and switched it back to PCIEX. I also disbaled "onboard 1300something" Still no response from the monitor. I really appreciate your quick responses. I know so far we haven't exactly been very logical.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

So let me get this straight. You disabled the on board video, you plugged the monitor into the video card and not the on board and you set the setting to PCIEX?

You are certain that that's the on board video right? What motherboard do you have?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Why the heck are you putting a 8800GT in such a old system? This system uses DDR ram, and although the cpu is not stated, it's old alright.

It's not a good idea to be putting an 8800GT into a pc like this. The system can't take full advantage of it.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

That PSU should be fine for powering the 8800GT. The 6 pin connector is plugged in, correct?

Your ram could also be the suspect. Either it's faulty or it's not getting enough voltage. Would you mind listing the specs of the ram? You should also try replacing the old ram in and trying it again.

Nosyt

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, that's one thing we made sure to plug in since... well... long story short, we went hunting for a adapter for his old PSU only to find one in the graphics card box. So yeah, it's plugged in.

Next test we left the side of the case off and started up the computer. The card is definitely spinning. After that we took his computer into my room to try on my monitor. Once again, the monitor didn't get a signal. Could the video card be bad? I can't see how we have the settings completely off?

mdw

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
what resulted in this? I am having the similar problems. I bought a "Power Up 450W" powersupply from tiger direct. When I put it in, nothing comes up. About the only thing it seems to power are the lights on the front. DVD/CD drives do not power on or anything. THink I got a faulty power supply? THis all stemmed from buying an 8800GT and needing a PCI-E ready power supply.

One thing I must say, why the HECK would <<vendor name here>> sell a PC that has a PCI-E 1x slot and a PCI-E 16x slot, and then put a 300Watt power supply in it with no 6 -pin PCI-E power connection????

fred64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Here is what I know. Many C51GU01 motherboards have problems with their onboard graphics after a few years -- mine lost red. The PCIe16x slot does not work in a lot of cases (didn't for me), so I installed a std PCI slot video card (Ge6200 256mb) and I kept the upgraded power supply (from trouble shooting the PCIe16 board. Everything worked just great -- for more than a year.

Afterwards I found out there are two versions of PCIe16x slots 1.0 and 2.0. Most boards (including those I tried were 2.0. I can;t say if a 1.0 would have worked, but I ran into a lot of folks on forums with the same PCIe16 slot seemingly dead, after never being used -- so, I'm assuming is that their boards were 2.0 and the slot I now know is 1.0.

G

I had the same problem my onboard Nvidia 6100 keeps taking over so to speak. I uninstall the 6100 completly because just disbaling it didnt work it seemed. so i uninstall it and it boots up with the new card which is a 8500gt just fine the first time then i install the drivers and everything for it and reboot it. and i just get a black screen after it shows the loading bar right before it load in to windows. when it does this if i take the 8500 out and plug back in to the onboard 6100 and boot back up it runs fine and the 6100 is back installed again. so it runs iff the 8500 for that first boot up then does that. . . any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS