6128ca screen turns off After waking from sleep; won't turn on

FlashExplorer

Honorable
Sep 6, 2014
I have an HP Pavilion dv6 6128ca, a laptop I have owned for almost 4 years. I have had to repair it once last year when a driver error caused a BSoD, and now I have a new problem...

This happens somewhat intermittently, but when I attempt to wake my computer from sleep mode, the computer wakes up (though it doesn't instantly respond when a key is pressed or the mouse jiggles), but within a second of turning on the screen instantly turns off. The computer still runs but the screen is black. Closing the lid does not put the computer into sleep mode when it's like this. Even worse, is that when I turn the computer off in this state, it will not turn back on...most of the time. This situation has happened to me at least twice over the past couple weeks, yet after some time passed I was magically able to turn it back on.

At first I thought it was the battery since it's essentially been dead weight for 2 1/2 years, but it doesn't seem to matter whether it's with - or without - the battery, plugged in or not plugged in. I haven't the faintest idea what could cause this, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what the culprit is. I am going to have to take it in to get repaired anyways as I need it to work for school, but if I can diagnose it maybe I could save myself ~$200 in labour charges...

Solution
Thats been a long standing problem with the dv6's; I'm surprised you have not run into it before now. I don't know if they ever resolved it.

FlashExplorer

Honorable
Sep 6, 2014
That's a shame, but I've basically declared the laptop dead. I went to my local expert computer shop and they said they can take a look at it, but that it would probably be beyond reasonable cost of repair (my guess is it's the motherboard, as I've been having USB issues too). So with that said, I thought it was time for an upgrade and bought a brand new ASUS entry level gaming rig for about $1000 after specifying the required accessories; I upgraded to a Radeon R7 260X graphics card for +$55, an external casing for my old laptop HDD, and a wireless receiver.

It's a double edged sword for me; I'm happy to finally upgrade to a proper desktop rig (what I've REALLY wanted), but a little salty that I had to spend the money on it as I was saving for something else. I'm just glad I already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

TRENDING THREADS