630w PSU for 980 ti

Solution
In 3-4 years the 980ti will be totally obsolete, out of warranty, and an all round bad purchase.

Thats the equivalent of someone looking to buy a GTX 580 right now, which is pretty much pointless as you can only buy them second-hand for the price that you can buy a better new card.

Go for the XFX 550 with the 970 now. It will be more than enough for any single card for the next couple of years as newer cards are using less and less power.

As for a 980ti later down the line, it would make much more sense to buy whatever is more relevant at the time.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Its not the best PSU out there, but its far from the worst either.

That unit will be able to power either of those GPUs. Im powering my overclocked 980ti and 6600k from a 550w, so a 650w will be ok wattage wise.

However if you dont already have it, or havent already bought it, I'd suggest something with a little more quality. For example, something in the EVGA Supernova G2 range (550-650w) would be much better.

Igor Kaluzny

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Would you recommend XFX Core TS 550W or Thermaltake Smart SE 630W ? It's the same price range.

Igor Kaluzny

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

I am planning on buying 970 this month, but I wanna be prepared for an upgrade after 3-4 years to 980ti. That's why I wanna have compatible PSU with it. Do you think it's a good idea?

Gallarian

Distinguished
In 3-4 years the 980ti will be totally obsolete, out of warranty, and an all round bad purchase.

Thats the equivalent of someone looking to buy a GTX 580 right now, which is pretty much pointless as you can only buy them second-hand for the price that you can buy a better new card.

Go for the XFX 550 with the 970 now. It will be more than enough for any single card for the next couple of years as newer cards are using less and less power.

As for a 980ti later down the line, it would make much more sense to buy whatever is more relevant at the time.

Solution