64-bit computing??

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
I am about to build a new pc, and i was thinking of going with a p4 socket775 3.2ghz but, would i benefit from having an athlon64? The thing is, i hate windows xp (actually i hate microsoft altogether, but due to compatibility issues between linux and other software i am forced to use windows) and i can garuntee you i will hate longhorn too (they are taking away our freedom - seriously) so i use a patched up version of windows 2000 professional. Is there any point in getting a 64-bit cpu running on a 32-bit OS? Will i notice any difference at all? THank you - and for all you enthusiasts out there:

Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit OS written in 8-bit code by 4-bit programmers working for a 2-bit company who doesnt like 1-bit of criticism!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by truckless on 09/20/04 03:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Yeah, another microsoft hater! :smile:

Long story short, the athlon 64s offer extremely competitive 32bit performance. In some cases slightly better performance, in other cases, slightly worse performance. But overall, they are virtually just as fast as P4s for 32bit apps. Look into the comparison benchmarks available for specifics.

You would no doubt be happy with either chip.

<i>Cigarettes - No cholesterol, high in fiber, low in fat, how could they not be good for you?</i>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
so could you... :smile:

I just figured he'd go read through tom's comparisons.

<i>Cigarettes - No cholesterol, high in fiber, low in fat, how could they not be good for you?</i>

endyen

Splendid
I was just hoping you would include a linux sales pitch. You are much more qualified than I. BTW, thanks for the link. It's a great article. <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=189643#189643" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=189643#189643</A>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Oh, that one. I figured he'd just come back to the forum and see that topic. I try not to sell. More qualified than you? Hardly. Remember, I'm the genius who didn't know that Windows2000 didn't support hyperthreading. :p

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MS became the savior of the PC industry by forcing standards which make programs nearly universally-compatable with 99% of the systems in use today. Then they RE-RESCUED the hardware industry by FORCING people to upgrade hardware when they switched to XP.

Bill gates mentioned that second part.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Hmmm. Microsoft is also the "embrace and extend" company, which take open standards like Java and Html, then ignores the existing standards and works to make it their own. These are just two examples, the list is quite long.

As for saving the hardware industry, if it wasn't microsoft, it would have been someone else. I honestly upgraded to get better performance under Linux. I'm an exception to the rule today, but in the future, my story will be typical.

Let's face it, you could say nice things about what the Romans did for the societies they conquered, but they still conquered them and forced their will on them. Some of the conquered like the Romans, some didn't, just like with MS today.

dhlucke

Polypheme
<A HREF="http://www.gatesfoundation.org/" target="_new">http://www.gatesfoundation.org/</A>

It's the largest charitable organization in the world and donates over a billion dollars a year.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well ms has gotten alot of attacks in its history, most deservedly so, but windows was a double edged sword. it is so user friendly that it costs the enthusiasts the tweaking and configuration options easily reached in linux. if linux had half the compatibility windows did, i could see it quickly taking over in areas. if more game developers ported to linux, youd also see a big shift. linux is at the point that its pretty user firendly actaully, while still giving us what we want, control lol.

windows likes to guide us by the hand through everything, and it became so succesful becuase any person, pc literate or not, can turn it on and use it. unfortunately that makes windows a target and i dont evne want to into all the holes in windows lol. plus linux cant put enough pressure on ms to force them to maybe keep release dates once, or fix problems before they release products lol. ive been using 64bit on linux for several months, while ms drags its feet.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
So? I didn't criticize Gates. I think his cheritable contributions are noble, but it doesn't mean I have to like MS or the its business practices.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Trooper,
I'm not here to argue for a holy war about Linux and Windows. I was just making a lighthearted comment in response to the OP regarding MS. That's all. I even put the smiley there to try to make that clear.

Maybe I'm wrong for feeling the way I do. Nah. :lol:

endyen

Splendid
Just wondering. How did Mr. Gates come by all those Billions?
The Carnegy foundation helps sponsor libraries. Some consider Carnegy to be one of the most evil mass murderers of all times.
As for me, I think philanthropic generosity is sometimes a means to ease a guilty conscience.
Of course anyone who supports the Seahawks has got to be good.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
i wasnt attackign or anyhting lol, in fact i was agreeing with you. im a big linux user, i was jsut pointing out why linux just cant seme to get over that hump against windows.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
great and now that microsoft basiclly stole the market using bullshit tactics nobody else will try to write an o/s. great for the industry.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Who's <i>Carnegy</i>?? I coulda sworn it was Carnegie.

As for Bill <i>Gaits</i>, I don't think he's murdered anyone.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
I know you were agreeing, that was just my way of trying to keep the discussion from going any further. I'm a Linux user, and I'm a big fan of it, but I'm not a zealot. Linux is great for many things, but not quite ready for Joe Sixpack, many of our mothers(or fathers for that matter), and gamers.

Not everyone is ready for it. Mere mortals can not begin to comprehend the infinite power of the Bash prompt. Their minds can not see the depth of X, nor are they a able to accept the reality of the current state of all things Linux.

Therefore, we Linux users, having redder blood than them, having the truth of Linux both in our hearts and on our harddrives, must eradicate the non-believers from among us. Our prayer should always be: killall -9 linux_unbelievers. The kernel will deliver us, along with his army of holy processes, utilities, and applications. So there is really no need for zealotry.

May root be with you.