64-bit Nvidia Tegra 6 "Parker" Chip May Arrive in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Ummm, Intel's Bay Trail SoCs are 64-bit ready... article seems to forget that little nugget and we're starting to see Intel Bay Trail SoCs beginning this month in devices like the Dell Venue 8 Pro and 11 Pro.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Could intel make bay trail 64 bit? Easily. They know that it's a marketing gimmick. Technically speaking they're bay trail chips for the server market already have that feature "turned on".

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
@ragealien: Bay Trail supports 64 bit instructions already (since it's a feature of Silvermont) but only Windows 8 x86 supports connected standby, hence it isn't used. Android doesn't have any official x64 builds either (afaik) so it's not possible on that front either.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Welcome to the original 3D acceleration race all over again, this time developers aren't going to jump an any bandwagon until things settle down. Nvidia is going to burn its bridges and if things are expect correctly, someone else will just copy their technology (cough AMD) and make a name for itself in the mobile GPU market.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The ONLY need for 64bit computing in the mobile sector is bad memory management on java's part. Android is java ontop of linux. iOS and everything Apple has always been extremely poor at memory management. Instead of FIXING the problem, everyone's idea is to increase the ram. Linux on 1GB of ram can run better than the same hardware specs on a Windows 7 / 8 machine with 12 GB of ram. Whats the real problem? ...THE OPERATING SYSTEM KERNEL. Linux owns memory management, the rest just pretend they know how to optimize. I say this as someone who actually knows, not just a fanboy.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Windows watch out!, Android may overtake you in the use of 64bit Apps...

x64 and Windows 64 is here for a long time but 64 bit Apps are difficult to catch up.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Not too surprising...ARM released their 64-bit cores for licensing last year (2012) targeting low power servers for the cloud.
And 64-bit code uses an additional 30% space, so it'll need more memory for all that anyways :)

todicamer

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
>antilycus , IOS use BSD an unix-like operating system, Android use Linux also an Unix like operating system, so the memory managment is almost the same, what do you know?

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
O RLY?!!?

They've barely got Tegra 4's out now which is early Q4 and they want to have Tegra SIX in a year? Are the artcle writers naïve, retarded, or perhaps both? I've seen countless articles previously saying the same thing.

Vladimir83

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Oh wait...this sounds familiar?! Ah..... yes,ten years ago AMD release Athlon x64.
So whats the deal?Guess it,it is poor Java virtual machines called android&iOS.
Back in the day Win XP was(still) perfectly work with 32bit binaries.Now this mega popular bloatwares called OSes cant be optimized and even worse they all depend on third party developers for optimization on their poor virtual machines :/

P.S. i have eery feeling like we are going backwards with technology :(

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

the iSheep are increasing, and the intelligent human being are dying, we are going backward indeed.

Mar 23, 2013
Sounds like these mobile companies are trying to incite some new buying craze among their devoted fans. Really do phones really need to be more powerful than a desktop pc or gaming console? What's next, battlefield 4 for smartphone??? But really why would a phone really need a 64 bit processor? This smells like a money making scheme to me. Having a powerful cpu on a phone right now may be a gimmick, but how would a mobile device utilize all that power (other than waste battery power)?

so far this talks about Parker will comes out in 2014 are just speculation. ExtremeTech speculate that if nvidia want comes out with their 64 bit SoC in 2014 then they need to move Parker release to 2014 (instead 2015 from nvidia own roadmap) hence cutting the life of Tegra 5 short (right now Tegra 5 is expected to be based on A15 with Kepler graphic core). but the article on Forbes were talking about Logan (T5) will use 64 bit cpu. so no nvidia did not cut Tegra 5 short so they can bring in Parker in 2014 timeline. this is from the article itself:

What about Nvidia’s Tegra? Confirmed by Nvidia, the follow-on to Nvidia’s Logan will be 64-bits and will be a custom core like Apple’s Cyclone

It could be all of those, but what Nvidia has confirmed to me is that the Logan SoC follow-on for mobile devices does have a custom 64-bit processor core, based on Denver.

so far i haven't seen nvidia talking about this yet but the article's author from Forbes said nvidia has confirmed to him about those thing.

Vladimir83

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
"Sounds like these mobile companies are trying to incite some new buying craze among their devoted fans. Really do phones really need to be more powerful than a desktop pc or gaming console? What's next, battlefield 4 for smartphone??? But really why would a phone really need a 64 bit processor? This smells like a money making scheme to me. Having a powerful cpu on a phone right now may be a gimmick, but how would a mobile device utilize all that power (other than waste battery power)? "

Thats the deal :)

Hardware's was never a problem,but today we have eight cores 2.2GHz CPU on a device that cant do proper multitasking?!?

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

You may be saying this now, but in 10 years, when you're holding the new phone in your hands that's twice as powerful as your current computer, you won't be.

There will always be a need. A good example? When companies starting releasing 4gb ram sticks. People were saying, "Why would we ever need more than 4gb of RAM????"

The trick is thinking forwards, not always just in the present.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I'll bet you this is either true or damned close to it... But it's like saying "I'll bet you that I could make a Linux rig that ran games faster than a Windows rig" right now. Again, probably true depending on how you go about it, but it doesn't count for crap unless you actually have games that run on it.

Phones will suffer the same hamstringing that PC's have for decades. If you make a game for a Galaxy S6/iPhone7, but you don't make the game to run on an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S3, you're probably cutting out more than half of your market, since most people have some sort of legacy hardware. In the case of phones, if they do end up beating consoles for power, that legacy hardware will be a combination of old phones (see: less powerful than current consoles) and current consoles, so I doubt you'll ever see that potential fulfilled - at least, not until the legacy hardware is only a small portion of the market.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I know, it's a complete waste of time to buy iPhone5 with iPhone6 around the corner. It's a complete waste of time to buy AMD's R280/290 with their next gen just around the corner. It's a complete...

I guess we should just all stop buying anything, because something is around the corner...Tegra4 is out NOW and not even fully ramped. T6 out possibly by Dec for xmas, but not ramped in any devices until Q1 2015. T4 will have a short life due to T5 in Q1 but even that doesn't make a T4 any less potent now, today when you can't buy the others.

Don't buy haswell now, because broadwell is coming...ROFL. Quit making me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS