6420k Bottle necking Msi 1050 Ti

Benjamin_80

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Hi everyone Just wondering if it is possible that my CPU is bottle necking my GPU in games likes CSGO i am only getting 50fps, and running unigene Valley my max fps in ultra is 48 consistently at 35. Guild wars 2 i fluctutate on High settings at 17-23 fps (not highest settings). During overwatch in high settings my game is very jumpy.

My computer:

A6 6420K ~ 4.4GHz 100% utilization while playing games

600W thermaltake PSU

DDR3 ~ 12Gb @ 1866 Mhz

mobo ~ asrock fm2a88m-HD 3.0

GPU ~ MSI GTX 1050 Ti 40% utilization getting 40fps while cpu is at 100%

I have updated to the newest drivers and yes, My DVI cord is connected to my gpu smile.gif

Solution
You have no real upgrade path for that CPU. Don't waste your money on upgrading that socket. Totally worthless. Just get a Ryzen chip and board. The faster 6 Core Ryzens would be a good choice. Just get one of those and be done with CPU bottlenecks for a good long time.

Bulldozer cores have never been very good, and that is basically Bulldozer with an integrated GPU sharing the same die. The 8350 at least has 8 bulldozer cores "4 modules" so theres extra cores to back eachother up even if they arn't very powerful cores to begin with.

Either find a really cheap second hand 8350 (which is on its way out of being a decent gaming CPU these days more and more (I own one and am still happy with it regardless of whiney people) or an Intel...
That's a dual core APU and it's a slow one as far as dual core CPUs go. So yes, you are being held back by the A6. CSGO isn't a demanding AAA game, it's an esports game, however performance does scale up with better CPUs. This of course also means performance scales DOWN with slower CPUs and with APUs.

Overwatch only needs a dual core, but it needs fast cores if you only have a dual core. That's why it's choppy. in case you didn't know, PC game performance is about a lot more than just the videocard. You need a CPU that can handle the game, a videocard that can handle the game, and enough system memory. You have two out of the three.

Ridah

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
You have no real upgrade path for that CPU. Don't waste your money on upgrading that socket. Totally worthless. Just get a Ryzen chip and board. The faster 6 Core Ryzens would be a good choice. Just get one of those and be done with CPU bottlenecks for a good long time.

Bulldozer cores have never been very good, and that is basically Bulldozer with an integrated GPU sharing the same die. The 8350 at least has 8 bulldozer cores "4 modules" so theres extra cores to back eachother up even if they arn't very powerful cores to begin with.

Either find a really cheap second hand 8350 (which is on its way out of being a decent gaming CPU these days more and more (I own one and am still happy with it regardless of whiney people) or an Intel cpu. I expect you don't have alot of money to dump into this so you might want to keep your DDR3 RAM and save a bit of money so getting a cheap second hand Intel CPU that can use DDR3 might be something you might want to look into. I know the last AMD CPU worth getting that used DDR3 is the 8350 and again thats not really worth getting these days as its on its way out of being a usefull CPU more and more. Thats just an idea, personally I would just build a new Ryzen system. If you don't have the money, perhaps it would be better that you didn't play video games and waste your time tho.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS