64bit not so wow

yester64

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Howdy,

i have Vista 64 for now a while and run before Xp64. Not to mention that i have a 64bit cpu in the computer.
What disturbs me somewhat is, that even my hardware is 64, my software is not.
I own barely 3 Programs which are true 64bit, which are 7zip, DOpus & Eset.
Now i understand that companies do not switch over to 64bit, maybe because there are not so many people with 64bit systems, but after all this time most programs are certified for 64bit, but not true 64bit.
What a bummer.
Why should someone really upgrade to 64bit, if the software does not even follow. In this regard is see my investment as a waste.
I hope Windows 7 will be offered as 32bit too.
I am truely dissapointed with this and i really curse software developers for not offering this kind of support. Is this in every sector like this or does mac have true 64 bit support from their developers?
mmmmmmmmmmmmm......

arges86

Distinguished
having a 64 bit OS offers the ability of more RAM, where a 32 bit OS could only have 32^2 bits (4 gigs) a 64 bit OS can have up to 64^2 bits (although Microsoft has put an arbitrary cap @ 64 TB.
So, if you have 4 gigs of ram or more, than a 64 bit OS is worth it.
(You can also hack your game files to be /laa 'Large Address Aware' which enables them to use more ram)

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
64 is mainstream. Lots of companies have 64bit software and support. Some do not. However, things will slowly evolve to 64 and they won't offer support for 32. Believe me 32bit is on its way out in the 3 years.

yester64

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
i hope so. because its really annoying to have 64 bit for so long and not a lot of software what natively supports it.
I use Acdsee and Mediamonkey, both program i really love, but still there are not 64bit. :(
Even with IE64, the last time i used it, flash did not work for 64 or it wasnt even for 64 at all. Dont remember.
But regarding the 4GB gab. Wasnt XP supposed to have exactly that done with the last update? Just wondering.

btw. another thing thats really annoying is the software upgrade from companies. I have a brother ml-2040 printer which supported manual duplex. Since i upgrade to vista 64 this feature is not anymore present. How cheap. :(

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
the transition to all 64bit software will take time. the adoption of 64bit hardware and OS must take place first before it's worth it for a software company to concentrate purely on 64bit applications. it's like building the infrastructure for the 64bit market. as a business, why would you concentrate on 64bit apps if only 20% of the total market is using 64bit OSes?

I also am awaiting that day 64bit apps will be the norm instead of the exception.

yester64

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
thats why i concluded that i switched to early to the 64bit bandwagon. If software companies don't provide the apps, whats the reason to switch (ok, i know its the ram boundary).
In fact, i think i had could stay with xp and wait till windows 7. I feel really screwed over by all this companies. And i am tired of seeing 'works with Vista'. Games are even more worst. I have seen no game so far that overs 64bit.
I know, i am very negativ here, but i am just frustrated really. Am i am the only who feels that way?
In a near future we will maybe see 128 bit (just an assumption), but that one i will wait out. :)

No offence but since you were already running XP64, you were fully aware of the scarcity of available 64bit software before jumping into the Vista64 pool.

So in some respects you had better insight than those of us that presently feel your same disappointment coming from the 32bit OP/SYS, since you have Vista64 MSFT may allow you to acquire a Vista32 installation disk from them at a small shipping cost, that is if you so desire to go that route.

I was running Vista64 but uninstalled it and did a clean install of Vista32, since most everything is presently being released as 32bit software, and the hopes of 64bit software taking over are really further away than most think, simply because of the stark reality of present volume of 32bit operating systems across the planet vs the actual in operation 64bit operating systems.

Software developers are faced with the existing facts, not future projections when they invest serious chunks of change developing their software to be able to market immediately upon its completion, so they market it for who's going to buy it and 64bit operating systems overall are a small minority of the existing total volume of operating systems out there.

For my experience going back to Vista32 has been great, at this point I have no complaints.

yester64

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
True for what you say.
But for what do we do have then x64 cpu's?

I just want to majke one or two points.
1) small software developers do offer (to my surprise) x64 software
2) do not buy x64, because if you do, you waste your money

I do agree with your last post and yes, its my fault for falling to the hype and hopes. So i will look into the next 10 years and still run x32 software. Or, who cares anyway.

Since i am not a programmer, my question would be if a program had to be newly coded for making it a true x64 program. Maybe that would give me a better understand why companies hesitate to offer true x64 ports.

thanks

64bit CPUs have no problem running 32bit software.

However at least as far as a 64bit and 32bit operating system they are completely different, meaning there is no upgrade path to go from a 32bit to 64bit operating system or vice versa, complete reinstallations are required to change from one OP/SYS to the other, so I would imagine, [since I am not a programmer either], your newly coded question is a yes.