• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

64bit vs 32bit os windows

Tony_164

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
i dont which one should i install Windows 7 64bit or 32bit cause i have 4gb of ram i cant install Windows 7 32bit that i have in my pendrive i dont have windows 7 64bit have to buy it i dont have budget for can i install 32bit and install 64bit for free in Microsoft site?

spdragoo

Splendid
Herald
No, you can't "upgrade" from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows. Essentially, it's a complete reinstall.

Things to consider:
-- 32-bit Windows requires less resources to run than 64-bit Windows (IIRC, minimum RAM is 1GB for 32-bit vs. 2GB for 64-bit; both technically recommend that you have 4GB of RAM)
-- 32-bit Windows is limited to a maximum of 4GB of RAM; 64-bit Windows can access a whole lot more, depending on the version -- Windows 10 Home, for example, can have a maximum of 128GB of RAM, while Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise/Education can have a maximum of 2TB of RAM (although you're primarily going to see that with server-grade motherboards, as most consumer motherboards top out at 64GB anyway)
-- 32-bit Windows is going to limit the applications that you can use. It's not as critical if you're not planning on playing games, but a lot of the newer games are specifying a 64-bit Windows (mainly because a) they use DirectX 12 or b) they require at least 8GB of RAM to run).

Tony_164

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
guys sory im late i dont no y im getting hd error 2 hard drives got bsod error and 1 hd got bad sector error and i bought new one thinking they wer bad does it has anything to do with the drivers i install cause i don't have cd player in my pc so had to install from Internet some of em wont install but the main drivers i have installed correctly