64bit Windows 7 only recognizing 4GB of 12GB installed RAM

OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Here's an interesting question that has me stumped...Not sure I would call it a problem per se, but I would like to understand what is going on.

I have 12GB of RAM installed in my computer...yes, I know, overkill, but it came as part of a kit that was on sale and it was too good a deal to pass up. Besides, why NOT have more?

Anyways, as I said, I have 12GB of OCZ Gold 1600 RAM (2xthis installed on an ASUS P6T motherboard. and Windows 7 Professional x64 is only showing 4GB under Computer properties (as shown below)

In cpu-z it correctly identifies that there is 12GB of RAM installed, but shows that it is in Dual channel Mode, not Triple as it should be with 12GB (shown below as well)

...So...any ideas?

Also, if you need any more information please let me know and I will provide it if/when I can.

Thanks!

computershows.png

cpuzg.png

bradolilly

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I too am having the same problem. I have the same setup, the only difference is that I only have 6 gigs OCZ Gold. CPU-Z shows all six gigs but its running in dual channel as well. Win7 only shows four gigs. Also my BIOS is up to date.

OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hey sorry I haven't replied to this...I went to visit family the day after posting and completely forgot about it til now.

Thanks gracefully, umm...I think I am, but haven't checked in a while. I'll update tonight and then let you know.