$650 new build - gaming/photoshop - help/advise appreciated. :)

orionflux

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Parts I can reuse: I have a 1tb samsung hard drive, an 800 watt power supply that's only a few months old & a GeForce GTX 460 video card, but I don't know if it'd be worth it for the video card or not... And my monitor, keyboard & mouse. I COULD reuse my case.. I have an Antec p160.. http://www.amazon.com/Antec-P160-Anodized-Aluminum-Super/dp/B0000C20XC << link to my case. (you can also google it).. It's older style, but nothing's wrong with it & it's pretty well made.. So.. There ya go. :)

Approximate Purchase Date: in October/November.

Budget Range: $650 before rebates, after shipping/tax.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I'm an amateur photographer & am a graphic designer (it's what I do for a living), so will be using Photoshop & other Adobe programs quite a bit.. I am also learning how to create 3d artwork (poser/daz 3d/etc)... also watch videos, listen to music & surf the net. :) That said, this build will just be something to "get me by" while I save up for something better. I desperately need something more modern & less troublesome than my current older computer.

Are you buying a monitor: Nope. I have a fairly nice one.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes.. However, I'm going to get the OEM from Newegg later this week, so you don't have to include that in your builds.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, but am open to whatever.. Have bought stuff from Fry's, Amazon, Geeks.com and TigerDirect, MWave, etc & have had no problems.

Location: Tulsa, OK, USA (no microcenter.. pretty much just best buy, walmart & 'wholesale computer supply' [which is usually more expensive than newegg AND they add tax!])

Parts Preferences: Would prefer Intel, but am open to AMD. Whatever would give the best bang for the buck. :)

Overclocking: Nah.. I don't really know how to do all that & don't want to risk frying something & be left with a hunk of junk.

SLI or Crossfire: Doubt my budget would allow for it. lol If you can fit it in there or think it would help, go ahead.. Doesn't matter to me, though.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would like to have a quiet PC. My current desktop is crazy loud.. And my laptop is noisy, too. Would be nice to not have ringing in my ears. lol In regards to the games, I play WoW, Perfect world (and other games by that company), Star Wars, Diablo III, etc.. No shooting games or stuff like that.. Mainly just MMO's.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm having problems running games.. My computer barely meets minimum requirements of WoW.. lol So you know it's all choppy and frustrating to play. Would also like to get with the times & get something new.

Alrighty, that's about it. Thank you very much for your help. :)

lots and lots of ram........ 16gb minimum. already found problems using just 8. multi core multi thread processor. not sure about the video card's part in this. Wouldn't buy one until I knew for sure. I always use a medium/big gamer card. do have a work station card but never did your stuff with it. never had use for low/med end stuff so I don't know the difference here. I don't do that kind of photograph work but do work with some photos and lots of textures.

never used poser or daz. might want to read over their forums and get advice.

orionflux

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

thanks for your suggestions. :)

the nice thing about ram is that more can always be added! lol :)

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Since you have a lot of good, reusable components, there is no point in re-buying them. Check this out.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iqU2

It should be able to run Photoshop like a champ. It has room for more RAM (which I really doubt that you will need)
Also, the graphics card will let you play any MMO maxed out.
The i5- 3470 is a great CPU and should do fine.

orionflux

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

Thank you! :)

I forgot to mention that I had a DVD player, but if I went with your build, maybe I could upgrade to a Blu-Ray player :) That'd be nice! :)

Thank you very much for your time & effort to help me. I sincerely appreciate it! :)

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

Any time!

TRENDING THREADS