[SOLVED] 650 or 750 or 850 for this build...

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
I've narrowed down my choices to
  • EVGA 650 GA (about 93 USD)
  • EVGA 750 GQ (about 86 USD)
  • EVGA 850 G+ (about 123 USD)
And my build is:
  • 3700x
  • GeForce 1060 for now, but planning on upgrading to one of the next-gen graphics card to be released this year that will replace the 2070 or 2080 slot.
  • 16 to 32 GB of DDR4 ram
  • X570 motherboard
  • Deepcool Castle 240 v2
  • Two SSDs for now, but might add a NVMe later
Because people's opinions are so torn when it comes to PSU recommendations, I am really confused as to what I should get. And to make things even more complicated, EVGA has all these different models (GA, GQ, G+) with different build quality. For example, 750 GQ has a higher number but they said 650 GA is of better quality.

Considering the price difference, the quality difference between the models, and my build, what should I go for?
My computer is on most of the time when I'm awake. Half of that time is spent on gaming, streaming, video editing, and the rest on lighter activities.

Solution
A quality 650W would be more than sufficient for the existing build + planned upgrades.

I haven't seen a single review of the GA at this point.... rumour has it it's an Andyson made unit, so not inherently "better quality" at a high level - although Andyson are capable of making a good unit, only time will tell.

Where are you located, specifically? USD pricing doesn't matter one bit if you're not in the US.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A quality 650W would be more than sufficient for the existing build + planned upgrades.

I haven't seen a single review of the GA at this point.... rumour has it it's an Andyson made unit, so not inherently "better quality" at a high level - although Andyson are capable of making a good unit, only time will tell.

Where are you located, specifically? USD pricing doesn't matter one bit if you're not in the US.

Solution

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

I'm in Seoul Korea. Those prices are actually a rough conversion using google's conversion rate. And I just so happened to convert a lot to the USD since I use Amazon. But yeah, those were the Korean prices I listed.

Well, I guess I will go with the 650W then!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Of them, I would go with the GQ, because I haven't seen any confirmation of the GA or the G+ being good quality.

The GQ has been confirmed to be one of EVGA's good models.

EVGA has some good models, and some truly terrible models. What makes it all the more confusing is that they keep coming out with even more models. Stick with the ones that are KNOWN to be good quality. In this case, of the 3 you listed, it's the GQ.

Reactions: Barty1884
I've narrowed down my choices to
  • EVGA 650 GA (about 93 USD)
  • EVGA 750 GQ (about 86 USD)
  • EVGA 850 G+ (about 123 USD)
And my build is:
  • 3700x
  • GeForce 1060 for now, but planning on upgrading to one of the next-gen graphics card to be released this year that will replace the 2070 or 2080 slot.
  • 16 to 32 GB of DDR4 ram
  • X570 motherboard
  • Deepcool Castle 240 v2
  • Two SSDs for now, but might add a NVMe later
Because people's opinions are so torn when it comes to PSU recommendations, I am really confused as to what I should get. And to make things even more complicated, EVGA has all these different models (GA, GQ, G+) with different build quality. For example, 750 GQ has a higher number but they said 650 GA is of better quality.

Considering the price difference, the quality difference between the models, and my build, what should I go for?
My computer is on most of the time when I'm awake. Half of that time is spent on gaming, streaming, video editing, and the rest on lighter activities.
Another choice is the Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro, http://prod.danawa.com/info/?pcode=7877767&cate=1131496 it is based on the Seasonic Focus Gold Platform or the Seasonic Focus GX http://prod.danawa.com/info/?pcode=9515835&cate=1131496 The Seasonic Core GX or GM would also a budget 80+ Gold choice.