[SOLVED] 650 watt on a RTX 3070ti?

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
My sys specs are
r5 2600 stock
16gb 3200 mhz
rtx 3070ti zotac amp.
is a 650 watt antec earthwatt platinum enough to run this system? i really dont wanna spend more on a psu because the gpu ended up costing so much

Solution
How old is your PSU? The only antec earthwatts platinum I found was from 2012. If it is indeed that particular model then it's a very big NO. No matter when you purchased it, it's an outdated platform.
3000 series are notorious for their huge power spikes that will trip the protections even in very good PSUs which are also far newer.
How old is your PSU? The only antec earthwatts platinum I found was from 2012. If it is indeed that particular model then it's a very big NO. No matter when you purchased it, it's an outdated platform.
3000 series are notorious for their huge power spikes that will trip the protections even in very good PSUs which are also far newer.

Solution
I know nothing about your psu but if it’s high quality and new it will be ok. If you take a look at the NVIDIA website the small print actually says “ 4 - Requirement is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration.”

The 10900k can peak well over 225w, your 2600 won’t go over 120w.

I am currently running a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC with a 3700X (PBO on) using a 650W Seasonic PRIME Ultra Platinum. This has been running since Sep-20 with no issues. I have used a smart plug to monitor power draw at the wall (not a good tool for the job but FYI) and the system even under stress testing has not gone over 550w and while gaming it’s generally around 450w.

I know nothing about your psu but if it’s high quality and new it will be ok. If you take a look at the NVIDIA website the small print actually says “ 4 - Requirement is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration.”

The 10900k can peak well over 225w, your 2600 won’t go over 120w.

I am currently running a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC with a 3700X (PBO on) using a 650W Seasonic PRIME Ultra Platinum. This has been running since Sep-20 with no issues. I have used a smart plug to monitor power draw at the wall (not a good tool for the job but FYI) and the system even under stress testing has not gone over 550w and while gaming it’s generally around 450w.
You own one of the best PSUs for that wattage. His PSU if it is the one I believe, it's old and NOT a high quality either. So not a similar situation with OP.

Reactions: sizzling

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
it is that old psu but it has been running perfectly since then so i realllllllllly dont wanna replace it if i dont have too

It's a HUGE NO if it's that one. Even if it was the best of the best of the best, it has degraded from all this time. It's based in an old platform and can NOT handle modern GPUs from the 3000 series.

But hey man, it's your hardware, your money. I can't do anything else than advise you. If you want to take the risk, be prepared to lose anything between just PSU (if you are lucky) and most of your hardware (GPU is almost next).