650W for 4890 x2

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I have a 650TX (i think, the non-modular corsair PSU). Newegg says for the sapphire 4890 crossfire requires 600W, so would the 650W be enough to run 2 of those, a slightly OC x940 (3.31), velociraptor, wd caviar blue, 3 case fans, 4 gb gskill ram ?

Solution
it does indicate there that it is not ATI Certified...

but that PSU has More than enough power to run 2x 4890's
and with well over 100 watts to spare

That PSU Will power 2 of those cards.

ATI don't certify it because they like Ultra safe recomendations to their customers where they cannot go wrong.

This setup shouldn't even cause that PSU to break a sweat and as you already have it, run with it.
Your PSU will be running at les than 80% load - meaning you would be, with that PSU, running at 85% efficiency :)

Can always buy a digital load monitor for about $10 and see what your total system is drawing for peace of mind.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
it should work, corsair is a good brand and has been shown to be able to pull more than its speced watts, and those reccomended wattages are what systems that might use the card (aka yours) would pull with the card or cards.

I wish I could go dual 4890's

khelben1979

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Having a PSU with a higher wattage than required keeps the noise down.

Also keep in mind that each PSU works differently when it comes to power efficiency. To keep the energy bill down a quality PSU is nice to have (like Corsair). I have an CorsairTX 650W myself and I'm hoping to have it for a total of, at least, 10 years before I haveto go for a replacement. Hopefully it lasts even longer than that. :cool:

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Yeah, I guess I /could/, but I just built my system at the beginning of the summer, stupidly, with a GTX260 and no SLI support ... So I am happy for now, just wondering if that setup would require a new PSU as well. I don't know the likely hood of me actually buying it because I am not a serious gamer, but I like my games to look nice @1920x1200, and the most demanding games I play (now) are COD4/5, and with Modern Warfare 2 using the same engine as those, I feel it cannot be much more demanding. (I only get lag with those huge fire dogs in COD5 zombies)

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
it does indicate there that it is not ATI Certified...

but that PSU has More than enough power to run 2x 4890's
and with well over 100 watts to spare

That PSU Will power 2 of those cards.

ATI don't certify it because they like Ultra safe recomendations to their customers where they cannot go wrong.

This setup shouldn't even cause that PSU to break a sweat and as you already have it, run with it.
Your PSU will be running at les than 80% load - meaning you would be, with that PSU, running at 85% efficiency :)

Can always buy a digital load monitor for about $10 and see what your total system is drawing for peace of mind.

Solution