[SOLVED] 65w cpu running at 15w

Nov 27, 2020
Are you using the Power Saver Power Plan ?
If so switch to the AMD Balanced Power Plan.
View: https://imgur.com/I2b1FV7

You also need to enable the XMP setting in the BIOS so your RAM runs at 3000.
Getting a 2 stick RAM kit that runs in Dual Channel mode would also help.
thanks for the reply, yeah the ram situation is not good and i will deal with it as soon as the new ram get here. i can't find that screen in your screen shot, i can find Power Options and i set it to high performance but my screen looks nothing like that and there is no Advanced Settings to click on.

my 2200g is running at 15w and tanking performance, i wan't it to run at 65w. i'm no computer wizard, and this is the only thing i could find out of the ordinary. i know my ram is not dialed in, had some problems with it, just working on the 15w problem right now.

desktop
asrock 450m-hdv mobo
2200g cpu
ballistix 3000mhz ram
1650 super gpu
seasonic 450 gold psu

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/36020713

https://ibb.co/0fL31dC
Why do you think your system has 'tanked performance'? Even the userbenchmark says it's 'performing as expected' for similar systems.

DO NOT compare to ANY OTHER system as Userbenchmark is hopelessly biased in how it sets up those comparisons. Look ONLY at raw scores and compare them ONLY to identical systems: that is, with a 2200g processor on a B450 motherboard and 3000Mhz RAM. Even throwing in the 1650 can make for a skewed comparison.

Also don't look at the processor's TDP (65W) and expect it to draw that electrical power. That's a purely synthetic number relating to the thermal energy a heatsink needs to dissipate, not the electrical power the CPU will draw. Both electrical power and thermal energy can be expressed as 'watts', but they are not easily compared.

It also relates to both the CPU and the iGPU since its a 2200g and both will be dumping heat into the same heatsink. So using the CPU only (since you've a discrete GPU) will necessarily pump out less heat (and draw less electrical power) than CPU and iGPU together.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
thanks for the reply, yeah the ram situation is not good and i will deal with it as soon as the new ram get here. i can't find that screen in your screen shot, i can find Power Options and i set it to high performance but my screen looks nothing like that and there is no Advanced Settings to click on.
Have you installed the AMD Chipset Drivers for your B450 chipset ?
If not, do that and reboot:
B450 Drivers & Support | AMD

Then try setting the Power plan to AMD Ryzen balanced.

Also use HWInfo to check your Power Usage:
Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS
CoreTemp is not as accurate, so that Power use may be a false reading.

Nov 27, 2020
Why do you think your system has 'tanked performance'? Even the userbenchmark says it's 'performing as expected' for similar systems.

DO NOT compare to ANY OTHER system as Userbenchmark is hopelessly biased in how it sets up those comparisons. Look ONLY at raw scores and compare them ONLY to identical systems: that is, with a 2200g processor on a B450 motherboard and 3000Mhz RAM. Even throwing in the 1650 can make for a skewed comparison.

Also don't look at the processor's TDP (65W) and expect it to draw that electrical power. That's a purely synthetic number relating to the thermal energy a heatsink needs to dissipate, not the electrical power the CPU will draw. Both electrical power and thermal energy can be expressed as 'watts', but they are not easily compared.

It also relates to both the CPU and the iGPU since its a 2200g and both will be dumping heat into the same heatsink. So using the CPU only (since you've a discrete GPU) will necessarily pump out less heat (and draw less electrical power) than CPU and iGPU together.
performance tanks in games, cpu runs at 100% 15w. games stutter and i get about 50% expected frames, gpu is not even close to maxed out. when i check system requirements my cpu is within recommended yet performs extremely poorly. yeah when i run bench marks on it the thing seems fine, and on low cpu requirements like heaven or valley benchmarks i get smooth expected framerate maxing out my gpu. my computer runs like hot trash, that is why i think it has tanked performance.

Nov 27, 2020
Have you installed the AMD Chipset Drivers for your B450 chipset ?
If not, do that and reboot:
B450 Drivers & Support | AMD

Then try setting the Power plan to AMD Ryzen balanced.

Also use HWInfo to check your Power Usage:
Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS
CoreTemp is not as accurate, so that Power use may be a false reading.
yeah i already got the power plan, it unfortunately did nothing. i even tried taking 1650 out and running heaven, it peaked at about 18w with about 10fps on 1080p lowest settings. i got the hwmonitor you suggested and noticed a few things, probably nothing though, i am ready to smash this thing to bits so i don't need to deal with it anymore XD
https://ibb.co/jT8wzD2

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Mine shows my Chipset as X470 (Low-power Promontory) as well.
But my 3700x has no problem boosting up to 4.4 Ghz.

To check the Power Usage, Open HWInfo BUT check the Sensors only Box.
Then Run a Benchmark like Cinebench R23 and see how much Power the CPU uses.
My 3700x goes up to it's full 88W maximum when the BIOS is set on stock settings.
With PBO Enabled, PPT goes up to around 110W.

Or you can Run Ryzen master while doing a CB R23 multicore run and check the PPT and CPU Power Usage in Ryzen Master.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
Mine shows my Chipset as X470 (Low-power Promontory) as well.
But my 3700x has no problem boosting up to 4.4 Ghz.

To check the Power Usage, Open HWInfo BUT check the Sensors only Box.
Then Run a Benchmark like Cinebench R23 and see how much Power the CPU uses.
My 3700x goes up to it's full 88W maximum when the BIOS is set on stock settings.
With PBO Enabled, PPT goes up to around 110W.

Or you can Run Ryzen master while doing a CB R23 multicore run and check the PPT and CPU Power Usage in Ryzen Master.
idk what im looking at... i hope this is the right part of monitor.
https://ibb.co/qd7z0rV

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Your CPU Core Power is Only hitting 34 W.
I just googled around to check 2200g Power Consumption and it seems like 34W is pretty average and even OC'd it only uses around 40-44W.

I am not very familiar with the 2200g, But it is a Very low end CPU.
You could try Overclocking it to 3.7 or 3.8 GHz and see what happens.
It should perform a bit better when OC'd.
Overclocking The AMD Ryzen APUs: Guide and Results (anandtech.com)

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution
Nov 27, 2020
Your CPU Core Power is Only hitting 34 W.
I just googled around to check 2200g Power Consumption and it seems like 34W is pretty average and even OC'd it only uses around 40-44W.

I am not very familiar with the 2200g, But it is a Very low end CPU.
You could try Overclocking it to 3.7 or 3.8 GHz and see what happens.
It should perform a bit better when OC'd.
Overclocking The AMD Ryzen APUs: Guide and Results (anandtech.com)
thank you very much for your time. i pulled my 3900x out of my main machine and slapped it into the asrock450 after flashing the bios, everything ran great with zero issues. as soon as i got my main rig up and running again i check this thread and saw your post. i am 100% convinced the 2200g is a pos, so i resolved the problem by smashing. i smashed every pin and delidded it with a sledge, and smashed it again to ensure the silicone was destroyed. thanks again my dude, i feel great about the resolution we came up with :)

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
thank you very much for your time. i pulled my 3900x out of my main machine and slapped it into the asrock450 after flashing the bios, everything ran great with zero issues. as soon as i got my main rig up and running again i check this thread and saw your post. i am 100% convinced the 2200g is a pos, so i resolved the problem by smashing. i smashed every pin and delidded it with a sledge, and smashed it again to ensure the silicone was destroyed. thanks again my dude, i feel great about the resolution we came up with :)

LOL
i don't know how to mark this as solved, but it is.
Just click on the Trophy Icon next to the Answer that helped you most.
Info - How to Award Best Answers/Mark question as solved | Tom's Hardware Forum