660 Ti OC?

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I have a 660 ti and I'm wondering if I should consider OC. I have a 1600p resolution monitor. I've read the card is pretty underpowered for that, but maybe I could help it a little?

1. Is it worth it?

2. How hard would this be for an idiot to do?

3. I have the EVGA Precision / Scanner X, would those be of help to me and make it easy? I do notice the stress tests in that program only get it to 74C, which doesn't seem hot.

Really ANYTHING you can tell me would help a ton. If I've left out information needed, it's because I don't know what all goes into this and what other components may be a consideration.

Thanks!

Solution
Definitely, you card will be hard pressed to game at 1600p. You can over clock it just fine just don't overvoltage it and you will be fine. Over clocking gpu is easy and there are many ways to do it. It's combination of adjusting voltage, core clock, and memory clock using a software like msi afterburner. Given that your power supply can produce the amount of power, simply raise clock speed and voltage until you see artifacts or exceed 85C during tests. Once your core clock is determined, figure out the memory clock without adjusting voltage. Results may vary, but good oveclock increase core and memory clock by about 15 to 20 %.
Definitely, you card will be hard pressed to game at 1600p. You can over clock it just fine just don't overvoltage it and you will be fine. Over clocking gpu is easy and there are many ways to do it. It's combination of adjusting voltage, core clock, and memory clock using a software like msi afterburner. Given that your power supply can produce the amount of power, simply raise clock speed and voltage until you see artifacts or exceed 85C during tests. Once your core clock is determined, figure out the memory clock without adjusting voltage. Results may vary, but good oveclock increase core and memory clock by about 15 to 20 %.

Solution

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for the reply! Is my best bet to just read up on every one of those things you just mentioned, because I really know next to nothing about this. Is there a way to determine how much of my power supply I'm using, or is that all just guesswork based on my components and its capacity?

Your usually know how much your power supply can deliver in terms of watts. I would look for reviews for the card you have that overclock it and recorded peak values of power consumption. If that number in nowhere near you Watt total you should be fine. If not, use your best discretion when adjusting voltage. Also, look at what other users used for voltage value because using the wrong value can fry your card. As long as you did enough research, that should not even come close to happening because most card will start showing artifacts Long before that voltage number gets dangerous. Sometimes adding more power doesn't improve performance so watch for that.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Best thing for these cards is to see how much you can overclock the vRam, as they are a bit crippled by the memory bus. If you have hynix vram you should be able to get to around 1700-1800mhz (6.8-7.2Ghz). you should easy get another 100mhz on the GPU clock also.

You shouldnt have to mess with voltages much, just the power target.