6600GT and 1920 resolution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

> You're wrong. You don't need the Nvidia software to be able to use the
> 6600's hardware acceleration. You need the software to use the other
> functions, but not DVD playback.
>
> I don't have the Nvidia Decoder software, and playing back a DVD at
> 1680x1050 only raises CPU utilisation by 2-3%. And PowerDVD clearly says
> it's using hardware acceleration...

I tried playing some 1080i MPEG2 clips using an Intervideo MPEG2 decoder
and my CPU couldn't keep up. When using the NVidia DVD decoder, there's no
problem, so I think the NVidia software puts more of the load on the GPU
than third party decoders do at the moment.

tq96 wrote:

> I tried playing some 1080i MPEG2 clips using an Intervideo MPEG2
> decoder and my CPU couldn't keep up. When using the NVidia DVD
> decoder, there's no problem, so I think the NVidia software puts more
> of the load on the GPU than third party decoders do at the moment.

Be careful! Apples and oranges! HDTV != DVD!

Every DVD playback software does make full use of the DVD acceleration
functions of the GF6600. But if You want to make use of the HDTV functions
then You need the Nvidia software since at the moment it's the only software
supporting the HDTV parts of the Geforce 6600 GPUs.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> tq96 wrote:
>
>> I tried playing some 1080i MPEG2 clips using an Intervideo MPEG2
>> decoder and my CPU couldn't keep up. When using the NVidia DVD
>> decoder, there's no problem, so I think the NVidia software puts more
>> of the load on the GPU than third party decoders do at the moment.
>
> Be careful! Apples and oranges! HDTV != DVD!
>
> Every DVD playback software does make full use of the DVD acceleration
> functions of the GF6600. But if You want to make use of the HDTV functions
> then You need the Nvidia software since at the moment it's the only
> software supporting the HDTV parts of the Geforce 6600 GPUs.

While I second the recommendation for the nvidia decoder, its performance
doesn't have anything to do with making use of special features of the
Geforce GPUs. The reason I say that with such confidence is that I use it
with ATI boards, which, whatever else one may say about them, most
certainly do not have any special nvidia features.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J. Clarke wrote:

> While I second the recommendation for the nvidia decoder, its
> performance doesn't have anything to do with making use of special
> features of the Geforce GPUs. The reason I say that with such
> confidence is that I use it with ATI boards, which, whatever else one
> may say about them, most certainly do not have any special nvidia
> features.

I think You mix something up. An Nvidia GPU doesn't make the Nvidia Decoder
faster, but the Nvidia Decoder is (at the moment at least) the only software
capable of using all the HDTV goodies of the Geforce 6600...

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> While I second the recommendation for the nvidia decoder, its
>> performance doesn't have anything to do with making use of special
>> features of the Geforce GPUs. The reason I say that with such
>> confidence is that I use it with ATI boards, which, whatever else one
>> may say about them, most certainly do not have any special nvidia
>> features.
>
> I think You mix something up. An Nvidia GPU doesn't make the Nvidia
> Decoder faster, but the Nvidia Decoder is (at the moment at least) the
> only software capable of using all the HDTV goodies of the Geforce 6600...

I'm curious--what are the HDTV goodies? If there's anything really good
there I might build a new machine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate