6600k nearly bottlenecking GTX 1060 6GB?!?!

olesien

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
For about one and a half year ago, I upgraded to a GTX 1060 6GB, 6600K, and a monitor with 1440p@144hz. whenever I play I always game at 1440p, leading to the cpu being a non-bottleneck (obviously), however recently I decided that it might be time to upgrade the graphics card to a 1080 ti (or new gen), and looking at many posts previously and heard many say that a 6600k (especially overclocked, which I already have), should NOT bottleneck a 1080ti at 1440p, which seemed great for me as I pretty much only can afford a 1080 ti and nothing else. After doing some testing with MSI RivaTuner I found out the following:

At 1440p in games like fortnite the CPU is at around 60-70% on all cores when overclocked to 4.4ghz, with medium settings (110fps)
In other games like rainbow six siege I found that the cpu instead sat around 90%, (90fps), with mostly high settings

At 1080p, however, I noticed some pretty weird things. firstly both the cpu and graphics card were about maxed, giving a decent 200fps in fortnite, but in rainbow six siege only about 110fps (both still maxed)
Still was however not the main issue that I had. You see, I was getting these REALLY annoying stutters everytime I moved around in both games. Is this a cpu issue? How can I fix this?

Thanks a lot for reading and hopefully replying,
olesien

Solution
the 6600K is an i5, with 4c/4t increasingly being a gaming performance-limiting liability as time goes on; naturally , some games are more affected than others...

Higher clock speeds do help, but, 4 threads is 4 threads, ultimately....; many games will do better with 8 threads. (see if you can acquire a 6700k/7700K on sale?)
the 6600K is an i5, with 4c/4t increasingly being a gaming performance-limiting liability as time goes on; naturally , some games are more affected than others...

Higher clock speeds do help, but, 4 threads is 4 threads, ultimately....; many games will do better with 8 threads. (see if you can acquire a 6700k/7700K on sale?)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS