[SOLVED] 6600k never turbo boosting

tapak

Prominent
Oct 9, 2018
I went to task manager today and saw that my CPU base speed was 3.10 Ghz, compared to the 3.50Ghz I'm supposed to get with a 6600k. I then went into the registry editor and set the start value in intelppm to 4, that seemed to fix my speed by making it always run at 3.5 Ghz.

But now Turbo boost won't work, even if I only enable 1 core and stress it. I have all C states disabled and Speedstep disabled too. Turbo boost is enable in the BIOS

My specs are
i5 6600k
b250m d3h motherboard
16 Gb RAM @ 2400
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/CFl2kNJ
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/4NHiKui

Solution
Was another processor installed prior to installing the 6600K?

fully remove power, then clear CMOS, remove battery, reinstall battery, reset to defaults

Not sure how it would show a 31X multiplier in the BIOS (vice simply auto), yet still correctly identifies the processor as a 6600K, unless 3.1 GHz is just a minimum base clock, vice the all-core turbo max boost. Have the appropriate B250 chipset drivers been installed?

Do single core loadings (CPU-Z/Bench CPU, the 2nd half of the bench does single core) reflect 3.9 GHz clock speed?

fully remove power, then clear CMOS, remove battery, reinstall battery, reset to defaults

Not sure how it would show a 31X multiplier in the BIOS (vice simply auto), yet still correctly identifies the processor as a 6600K, unless 3.1 GHz is just a minimum base clock, vice the all-core turbo max boost. Have the appropriate B250 chipset drivers been installed?

Do single core loadings (CPU-Z/Bench CPU, the 2nd half of the bench does single core) reflect 3.9 GHz clock speed?

Solution

tapak

Prominent
Oct 9, 2018

I haven't seen anything above 3.5 in any situation, but no, no cpu was ever installed before the 6600k

tapak

Prominent
Oct 9, 2018

Thanks a lot, removed the battery, got to 3.9 in a single core stress test!

I've yet to ever find HI Performance power plan necessary....which seems more to just lock a CPU at max clock speed even when playing only Solitaire and under a 4% load...

with proper chipset drivers and Balanced (Windows power plan) mode, i get max clock all-core clock speeds under load, and 800-1200 MHz when surfing..which is ideal..

TRENDING THREADS