Question 6600XT causes restart, new RMA

Nov 30, 2022
I have a 6600xt that cause restart. I can consistently cause this to happen when running the VRAM test in OCCT. It HAS to be the card. I was able to test with a friend's 970 and the PC worked just fine. But the card has already been RMAd. Its not the power supply, I have a cx750m and I bought a hx1000i just to test this and it still does the same thing. I don't want to RMA again, but it really seems like a software issue because nvidia cards work just fine, no issues or restarts whatsoever.

Its NOT a PSU issue. or a CPU issue, or a RAM issue, I guess it could be a compatibility issue though. Steps I'm going to try right now:
Updating BIOS

But thats genuinely all I got and I don't know what else is causes it to restart. It only restarts when Gaming or doing a VRAM test or other stress tests. pls help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

When switch AMD to/from Nvidia drivers, did you use DDU?

Is your motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

What about main Windows drivers (video, motherboard chipset, etc)?

Nov 30, 2022
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

When switch AMD to/from Nvidia drivers, did you use DDU?

Is your motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

What about main Windows drivers (video, motherboard chipset, etc)?

AMD 3600
MSI 6600XT
MSI B550 A PRO
Corsair CX750M / Corshair hx1000i
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ Memory
BIOS should be update to date, updating it now though just in case.
Havent updated chipset drivers

Nov 30, 2022
Earlier I asked about DDU, have you used it when changing video drivers?
I just did again, twice. At this point I have no idea whats going on, I have no idea why its happening, and tbh I'm kind of sick of it. Friday I'm going to buy a 3060 since I know at least that and a 970 works just fine, and sell the card.

Nov 30, 2022
Yes, I agree this is likely a software issue, not a hardware issue. Does the GPU fail under any other circumstances?
Gaming, it specifically fails when VRAM stress testing, and after about 20 tp 30 min gaming, interestingly enough in the event viewer I get event ID 18, which makes me think it's cpu related but I can stress test the cpu all night long. I'm not sure what's it is with the drivers, or maybe it is thr card and I just got unlucky, tomorrow I'm going to factory reset windows and see if that fixes it

It seems to me that when the 6600xt first came out in 2021 that I bought a powercolor hellhound 6600xt from microcenter. I remember having similar issues and buying a new power supply. That card never ran right. I ended up returning it to microcenter and got an asus dual 6600xt, never had anymore issues after that.

As I said once I swapped for a different card, still a 6600xt, the computer was happy as could be. I ended up selling that 6600xt during mining, but later bought a 6700xt. The only reason I don’t have that card now is because I got Christmas money, and was able to pick up a 3080. Ended up selling the 6700xt for nearly what I paid for it.

Reactions: AbeDub