Question 6600XT performing worse then my RTX 3050 ?

R4tch

Prominent
May 13, 2022
Although the title is slightly clickbait, it's not entirely untrue. When building my PC, I made it so that I could get as much frames as I can in Valorant. With my RTX 3050, I could average around 350-400 in gun fights meanwhile 700fps max when I stay still and look at wall in practice range. Last week I decided to upgrade to a 6600xt as I wanted more frames in GPU intensive games such as Apex Legends and BF2042 which gave me great FPS boost but with Valorant, I was only able to get around 280-320 fps in gun fights. Although it might not matter to some, my monitor runs on 280hz and I wanted to maximize it's potential.

Before switching GPU's, I used DDU to remove my 3050 drivers but after overclocking my GPU, I still couldn't manage my previous 3050 average frames in gun fights (although while idle, the frames are higher). I tried redownloading Valorant,
updating to latest bios for motherboard, deleting and reinstalling latest chipset drivers, setting performance mode in windows with 100% CPU utilization, and many others. It could be my CPU not running higher but I'm not so sure.

View: https://imgur.com/a/G5QKMKk

Used to be Specs (only GPU change):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3050 8GB 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC Video Card
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus TUF GAMING VG259QM 24.5" 1920x1080 280 Hz Monitor

R4tch

Prominent
May 13, 2022
download latest drivers
You'll want to ddu in safe mode
remove all drivers that can be removed including audio
reboot
now install the latest video drivers
now reboot
I tried it out but average fps in gun fights is still terrible for me at around 280fps. Meanwhile while idle its super high, around 700 but when are you idle in valorant lol.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Some games favor Nvidia over AMD.

Valorant uses the Unreal engine, so I would still expect gains. However, none of the benchmarks I looked at were optimizing for FPS over quality, so it could be the case of the very simplified graphics settings favor the higher core count in the 3050 vs the 6600xt. Same bus width, similar memory speeds, it may just come down to better driver optimization.

R4tch

Prominent
May 13, 2022
Some games favor Nvidia over AMD.

Valorant uses the Unreal engine, so I would still expect gains. However, none of the benchmarks I looked at were optimizing for FPS over quality, so it could be the case of the very simplified graphics settings favor the higher core count in the 3050 vs the 6600xt. Same bus width, similar memory speeds, it may just come down to better driver optimization.
I found out that I had to re enable XMP which gave me a boost in FPS, thanks for taking the time to help me out.