Impaler

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I have 2 X 1gb Viking ddr2 667 (vgddr212864pc667 /2) and an Asus M2N4-SLI mboard.
When dram config is set to auto, I get BSD when loading Windows.
If I set the config to 533 & bump the dram voltage up to max, it runs fine.
If I set config manually to 667 & 5-5-5-5-12, it still BSDs.
No matter what settings/voltages I try at 667, I can't get it stable, but 533 works fine.
Numerous calls to Viking support has gotten me nowhere. All I get from them is it's 3rd party memory that they resell, and they don't know what the exact timings should be. So my questions:

1) Does anyone know what I should set the timings & voltage for this memory to to run @ 667?
2) I'm not really clear on this whole timing config. I'm assuming I'm correct in that the 5 timing numbers correspond to the 1st five settings in the dram config, but I have at least another 10 or so after that. Am I correct in placing the 1st five and leaving the rest at auto? If not, where do I get those settings?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated in troubleshooting this.

thanks...

Mondoman

Splendid
If they market the RAM as DDR2-667, they should certainly be able to tell you the detailed specs. A future buying tip: everybody and their brother has lifetime guarantees on their RAM these days, so if you see anything shorter, run away!

To start with, BSOD when loading Windows is not a "proper" memory test. Download and run memtest86+; if the memory is as bad as it seems, you should see errors in memtest86+.
If possible, return these as defective through your vendor and buy something else.
If not, contact Viking for free replacement under warranty, based on memtest86+ results. They will likely require you to return both modules as a pair for replacement. If the new modules they send you also don't work, demand a refund of your money.

Impaler

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
So I ran memtest @ 533/auto (5-5-5-15) for a few passes. No errors
Ran it at auto/auto - shows running @ 368MHz and DDR2 737!!
Started scrolling red @ 40% of 1st pass.
Not really knowing what I was doing, I tried setting the timings to 6-6-6-15 thinking maybe that would slow it down a little.
Wouldn't even post.
Pulled the battery & reset jumper - still no post.
Tried different slots - nothing.
So now I think I either blew up the memory, the mboard, or both (unless you have another alternate diagnosis).
I'm going to try running ea. 1gb DIMM alone and see if maybe I can isolate it to one module, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.
(I'm running the current BIOS rev, BTW...)
Any suggestions?
Thanks....

Mondoman

Splendid
Did you first unplug the PS power cord, then remove the "coin" battery, and then short the CMOS jumper for 30 seconds or more?
As far as the RAM goes, since it's clearly not working on auto, it's time to return the RAM.

Impaler

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Yep - did all that. I'm just praying at this point that the mboard hasn't blown.
I already ordered new memory.

Hopefully everyone will learn from my experience. I will never buy a Viking product again, and I strongly urge that no one else does either. I experience bad customer service in my line of work every day, but Viking's is without a doubt one of the worst. Not to mention the fact that selling 667 RAM that clocks at 533 is fraudulent and illegal. I wish I had the time and resources to pursue this in court. Thanks for all of your help and timely responses Mondo.

Cheers
The Impaler

Impaler

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
So after purchasing another set of "quality" DIMMs, I still had no post.
I replaced the mboard, and everything is fine with the new memory.

The question I have now is, since the old memory is apparently OK, can I put them in the other 2 unoccupied slots, even though they're a different mfgr., same speed, but possibly different timings?

I'd really hate to pop this new board, so if there's any chance of that happening I'll pass. It would be really cool to have 4gb RAM though...

thanks
Vlad

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, you can put in the other RAM. All the RAM in the system will run at the speed of the slowest RAM installed (assuming "auto" settings in the BIOS). If you are running a 32-bit OS, you'll only be able to address (use) about 3GB of the total, since the rest of the total 4GB of address space is used up by various hardware components of your system. To use the full 4GB, you'll have to switch to a 64-bit OS.