[SOLVED] 6700 xt is not increasing performance at all.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
I upgraded my gpu from a 5700 xt to a 6700 xt and there has not been a performance increase at all. My fps in every game is almost exactly the same. My 6700 xt is drawing the same amount of watts as my 5700 xt, at around 30 to 50 watts. My clock speed is usually around 500-1000 MHz, never even close to the supposed base clock of 2300 MHz. Does anyone know any reasons why and any fixes?

Spec list:
Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus ROG strix B450-F
Sapphire NITRO+ 6700 xt
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (4x8) 3000 Mhz
PowerSpec 650W Power Supply Semi-Modular 80+ Bronze ATX

Solution
My 6700 xt is drawing the same amount of watts as my 5700 xt, at around 30 to 50 watts. My clock speed is usually around 500-1000 MHz, never even close to the supposed base clock of 2300 MHz
have you tried manually setting Voltage, Core & Memory speeds?

I did a factory reset of my computer but kept my files. I then installed the drivers for the 6700 xt.
you haven't stated if you actually used DDU to wipe the GPU drivers & data yet.

doing a "factory reset" from within Windows only reverts Windows settings to defaults, it does not wipe all existing drivers and user information.

you would need to totally remove all related graphics files and settings with the DDU software and then reinstall the latest.
the funny thing is...
My 6700 xt is drawing the same amount of watts as my 5700 xt, at around 30 to 50 watts. My clock speed is usually around 500-1000 MHz, never even close to the supposed base clock of 2300 MHz
have you tried manually setting Voltage, Core & Memory speeds?

I did a factory reset of my computer but kept my files. I then installed the drivers for the 6700 xt.
you haven't stated if you actually used DDU to wipe the GPU drivers & data yet.

doing a "factory reset" from within Windows only reverts Windows settings to defaults, it does not wipe all existing drivers and user information.

you would need to totally remove all related graphics files and settings with the DDU software and then reinstall the latest.
the funny thing is i've actually gotten worse performance in some games
and this would be totally unacceptable.
if properly installing the driver package and manually setting speeds & power to their intended specs does not help,
and you find that getting a decent power supply also doesn't improve the situation,
i would get the friend to submit an RMA for this thing.

Solution

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
I've attempted to to manually set the core speed, voltage is maxed out at 1200 by default, and i haven't touched the memory speeds yet. I don't know the deep specifics into overclocking and all that, so i try not to tamper anything to drastically.
I have used DDU to wipe the drivers off of my computer as well.
I'm going to be testing a new power supply today to see if that is the issue.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
My CPU and GPU util are pretty similar when in game though. My CPU stays around 50% util and my GPU around 60%
50% might mean that half your cores are at 100%. Games can’t make use of 8 cores, at most they use 4, and most games use 2.

So check CPU usage per core. If it locks at 100% for 2-3 cores while playing games, then you are CPU bound.

Try synthetic benchmark suites like 3D Mark and UserBenchmark on each card. These will show you where the bottleneck is. (Spoilers, it’s your CPU)

logainofhades

Titan
50% might mean that half your cores are at 100%. Games can’t make use of 8 cores, at most they use 4, and most games use 2.

Not entirely accurate. There are games than can use 6+. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is one I remember seeing using 75% ish of a six core Ryzen 5's 6c/12t. Hence why pure quad core gaming is considered dead, unless you play old, or fairly simple E-Sports titles.

1080p, with a 2700x, I agree the CPU is holding things back. If the current board has a bios update for it, a drop in upgrade, to a 5800x would be quite the improvement.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfwXqODqp4&t=131s

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
what "AMD Radeon Software"?

you stated earlier that you didn't have Adrenaline 2020 installed, but would "give it a shot".
so, what were you using to read & report GPU statistics?
AMD radeon software is adrenaline if im not mistaken. If i go to the performance tab, i can monitor the clock speed, temp, etc. By pressing ctrl + shift + O an overlay is brought up in game that also allows me to monitor all of that. There is a manual option where i can adjust min frequency, power limit, etc. I hadn't touched any of that stuff before all this though. There is a basic overclock preset that i tried out, but it didn't lead to anything changing.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I upgraded my gpu from a 5700 xt to a 6700 xt and there has not been a performance increase at all. My fps in every game is almost exactly the same. My 6700 xt is drawing the same amount of watts as my 5700 xt, at around 30 to 50 watts. My clock speed is usually around 500-1000 MHz, never even close to the supposed base clock of 2300 MHz. Does anyone know any reasons why and any fixes?

Spec list:
Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus ROG strix B450-F
Sapphire NITRO+ 6700 xt
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (4x8) 3000 Mhz
PowerSpec 650W Power Supply Semi-Modular 80+ Bronze ATX
In most games their very close in performance with the 5700 a bit better in some even.

logainofhades

Titan
In most games their very close in performance with the 5700 a bit better in some even.

At the same clocks yea, but the 6700xt is clocked considerably higher, making it a good bit faster. Their 2700x is the hold up here, as they are on a 1080p panel. Easiest, and probably the cheapest change, would be getting a higher res monitor. 1080p, with a 2700x, neither GPU was working very hard.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
This could also be a PSU issue, better minds than me had something to say about your PSU in this thread, food for thought. Could be your PSU is not delivering?

turns out it's either the cpu of motherboard. Obviously the CPU is holding the GPU back, but the problem is less of the performance is bad and more of it shouldn't be this bad.

Could you go into further detail about the clock speed issues. I don't really know that much about PC's other than basic information on how to maintain and install parts. My usage of AMD parts is solely from the fact that i was able to find good deals and bundles (all hail microcenter) for them.

I was referring to the 500-1000 on the gpu, it's clearly a reporting issue with the software or you wouldn't see the performance you are.

TRENDING THREADS