[SOLVED] 6700 XT only working at x8 speed native on B450-F GAMING ?

Aug 25, 2021
So I have seen similar threads but I have not yet solved my issue.

I upgraded my GPU buying an brand new 6700xt on a system with Rog Strix B450-F Gaming which already has an Ryzen 2700x installed.
It works only in x8 speed native.
Although I have only one M2 NVME on the first slot M2.1 installed. The M2.2 is empty in order to let bandwith for the first PCIE lane, otherwise the first lane would function at x8 speed.
I got 3 SATA disks connected on Sata1 s2 & s3. The rest s4, s5 & s6 are empty.
Both 8pins of the PSU are connected to the GPU.

Only the first top PCI-E x16 lane is occupied with the GPU. All other PCI-e lanes are empty. The GPU sits fully with all connectors on PCIE slot.
All I know is that the motherboard and this CPU are both supporting GEN 3 At x16 and that this GPU should work with GEN 3 instead of GEN 4 which is its current GPU technology as there is backward compatibility.
*The older GPU THE RX 570 worked fine at x16 Speed.

Now what I have tried:
Having the motherboard updated to the last BIOS version, 4502.
Reseting the BIOS, turning off any automatic or manual overclocks.
Re-seating the GPU.
Setting the first PCI-E x16 lane manually to GEN 3.

Could this be an issue of older generation?
Have I done anything wrong without knowing it?

If it is possible for this issue to be resolved I would be happy, otherwise I should upgrade the system once more.

Specs
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15-16-16-35 32GB 4X8
GPU: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
PSU: 1000 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Platinum

Thank you for your time in advance!

Solution

Do a clean re-install of the video drivers using DDU. Follow the instructions carefully to be sure all old driver components and settings are cleared out.

AFTER removing, also re-install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD web site. Should update that anyway as the latest ones fix a security breach.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18043-released

Just an FYI: I'd suggest to install the drivers using the 'driver only' option. That won't install Radeon Settings app but you can use MSI Afterburner for overclocking and monitoring instead. It's far more stable without RS and I can get better overclocks on my 5700XT.

Do a clean re-install of the video drivers using DDU. Follow the instructions carefully to be sure all old driver components and settings are cleared out.

AFTER removing, also re-install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD web site. Should update that anyway as the latest ones fix a security breach.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18043-released

Just an FYI: I'd suggest to install the drivers using the 'driver only' option. That won't install Radeon Settings app but you can use MSI Afterburner for overclocking and monitoring instead. It's far more stable without RS and I can get better overclocks on my 5700XT.

Reactions: geozal
Solution
Aug 25, 2021

Thank you for reminding me that. I will try that and will reply back with the results!

Noted! Although I will leave it in stock.
Even if not 'overclocking', undervolting modern GPU's generally gives a very good performance uplift. That's easily enough done in AB too. Doing it can be a win-win-win since in addition to improved performance the card runs cooler, so less stress on the GPU components, and it can run with lower fan speeds so it's quieter. AB also allows easier and more predictable fan control than RS...so maybe it's a win-win-win-win.