[SOLVED] 6700 XT to 6800 XT... drivers?

favreervaf

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
Currently using a 6700 XT with most up to date drivers through Adrenalin, if I ever get a 6800 XT, is it the same drivers so can I just plug and play?

Solution
I went over to AMD's drivers website, downloaded the package after selecting the 6700XT and 6800XT. They're the same driver package. Same enough that they produce the same MD5 hash.

You don't need do anything with the drivers you have installed. They'll work with the 6800XT.

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to use DDU to uninstall all drivers from your platform, in spite of going for an upgrade within the same camp. Once the prior drivers are removed, power down system, remove the older GPU, drop in the new GPU, power up then manually reinstall the latest GPU drivers sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

favreervaf

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
You're advised to use DDU to uninstall all drivers from your platform, in spite of going for an upgrade within the same camp. Once the prior drivers are removed, power down system, remove the older GPU, drop in the new GPU, power up then manually reinstall the latest GPU drivers sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Ok thanks, will DDU uninstall just the driver or will it uninstall Adrenalin software as well? Its fine if it does, just don't want issues if it uninstalls just the driver but not the software?

DDU uninstalls everything.

I have been very impressed with the Amernime Zone/NimeZ 3rd party tweaked drivers.

Unlike W1zzard's NVCleanstall for nVidia (which focuses mainly on removing telemetry and bloat from the stock nVidia drivers), Amernime mixes and matches genuine WHQL signed AMD driver kernels and libraries for improved stability, and ports modern driver features back to older cards. It's kind of like the old Omega drivers

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
The same drivers operate all the products from one manufacture. While Lutfij's answer is the definitive one, personally I would just plug and play it. And I use DDU only when troubleshooting or moving drivers across brands. It will also remove your AMD chipset drivers which is not your GPU driver. So keep in mind that you may have to re-install that as well.

Reactions: favreervaf
I went over to AMD's drivers website, downloaded the package after selecting the 6700XT and 6800XT. They're the same driver package. Same enough that they produce the same MD5 hash.

You don't need do anything with the drivers you have installed. They'll work with the 6800XT.

Reactions: favreervaf
Solution