Question 6700k + H80iGT = 100C / throttling?

Apr 18, 2021
Hey all,

Running on an old rig (specs below) and noticed recently that my system was starting to lock up more frequently. Fans were also spinning up to pretty high temps. Took a look at temps in speccy and noticed that temps seemed a bit high. With just chrome and photoshop running (CPU usage 30-60%), i was hitting 70-90 degrees C, which seemed excessive. At one point I hit 100C just watching a 4k video on youtube and the CPU started throttling.

Figured it was time to replace thermal paste and reseat CPU so I did that today and cleaned all the fans out at the same time. I used the same Gelid thermal paste (about the size of a grain of rice) and loaded everything back up, but the thermals are roughly the same.

As of writing this my CPU usage is 15% and avg CPU temp is 49C in speccy. H80iGT reports temp is 36C.

Not sure which temp in hwinfo matters (there's a ton of them), but included a screenshot below.

Any idea on what could be causing this? The only thing I can think of is maybe the thermal paste is going bad since i bought it 5 years ago? Or maybe I'm not putting enough on? i've been using the grain of rice size for years though and it was never a problem.

I thoroughly cleaned the cooler and CPU with coffee filter + 99% isopropyl before reapplying as well. I first installed the 6700 about a year ago and don't recall having any of these issues until recently.

Thanks in advance.

Specs
----
6700k @ 4200-4600mhz
Corsair H80iGT Cooler
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Gelid GC-Extreme Thermal Paste (bought in 2016)
Ambient Temp: 23C
2 intake, 2 exhaust in push-pull config

Q4wMH81.jpg

Apr 18, 2021
Replace the cooler.
Either pump is dead or cpu block clogged.
AIOS are not designed to be user serviceable. If it goes bad, then you replace it.

Thanks. Pump being dead would cause fluid temps to be really high I assume? Corsair reports AIO fluid temps around 34-36C, so so I assume that means the CPU block is probably clogged or something and preventing the fluid from moving freely?

TRENDING THREADS