[SOLVED] 6700k high temps/100% usage

se7enX89X

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
So I went out and bought a 2080, blew the dust out of my case and installed the 2080. A day later I started noticing I was getting massive stutters in games like Battlefield V. Checked my cpu temps in HWMonitor and they were through the roof like 90c+. Usage was going from anywhere to 50% all the way up to 100% which was causing stutters and the temps were hitting 95c+ at times. The cpu is not OC but I did notice on default the Vcore was set pretty high. I did end up underclocking it and temps now in idle seem okay but I just don't understand it. Before I installed the 2080, this cpu along with a 1070 was running just fine...
Here are my specs btw...
Asus Z170-AR mobo
16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz ram
Gigabyte 2080 OC
CX600M Corsair PSU

Solution
Bf5 is very cpu intensive and a 2080 can easily work the cpu more than a 1070 would. More fps = more cpu pre-rendering.

May not be the case but seeing Bf5 does drive up cpu usage even on an 8600k/9600k to really high numbers especially with powerful graphics cards, it does sound like the cpu cooler isn't coping with the current demand. Also the graphics card may be heating inside the case more.

Try cap fps to 40~60fps and see if that helps cpu usage running too high. Msi Afterburner can limit fps, or lower monitor Hz and force Vsync.

Try open the case's side panel and blow a pedestal fan directly at the cpu.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Replacing the GPU and blowing out dust isn't going to increase the VCore. Potentially in your cleaning adventure you disconnected a fan? Or damaged the CPU cooler in some way?

It's highly unlikely, of course - but what you've described should not have resulted in usage/temps increasing.

Perhaps a Windows update installed around the same time, which is causing increased CPU utilization, sustained?

mgallo848

Commendable
If you're not overclocking it probably would be a good idea to just set your BIOS back to default settings. That should put all vcore (and any other) adjustments back to the correct values.

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to see if there's any BIOS updates for you motherboard.

se7enX89X

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
What cooler are you using? Is it an aio? Possible pump failing. Definitely do what was suggested above and double check all your fans. Maybe reapply thermal paste. Maybe you bumped it loose?
I'm using a stock fan. It has worked pretty good up until I upgraded to the 2080. Before I had it paired with a 1070 and never had temp issues or high usage.

se7enX89X

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
If you're not overclocking it probably would be a good idea to just set your BIOS back to default settings. That should put all vcore (and any other) adjustments back to the correct values.

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to see if there's any BIOS updates for you motherboard.
I never overclocked any of my hardware. The problem is if I keep the voltage at default then my cpu ends up overheating and the usage goes to 100%. I think my motherboard increased the default voltage or something by itself....

mgallo848

Commendable
Then the two things I would try next is to update your bios if there is any and take the cooler off, and reapply a Fresh coat of thermal paste. Those stock coolers are notorious for not seating themselves properly. One of the corners may be loose and not making proper contact with the CPU

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Bf5 is very cpu intensive and a 2080 can easily work the cpu more than a 1070 would. More fps = more cpu pre-rendering.

May not be the case but seeing Bf5 does drive up cpu usage even on an 8600k/9600k to really high numbers especially with powerful graphics cards, it does sound like the cpu cooler isn't coping with the current demand. Also the graphics card may be heating inside the case more.

Try cap fps to 40~60fps and see if that helps cpu usage running too high. Msi Afterburner can limit fps, or lower monitor Hz and force Vsync.

Try open the case's side panel and blow a pedestal fan directly at the cpu.

Solution