6700k normal voltage

qwertynosik

Honorable
Jan 4, 2017
Hello! I just build my pc and it seems that my motherboard set cpu voltage too high. In bios cpu voltage set to "auto" mod, and motherboard shows about 1,35 V for cpu with 4.0 MHz (without boost). I change voltage mod to "manual" and set 1,2-1,25V. But how can I understand is this voltage fit the cpu or not? I heard that I need to reduce core voltage by 0,1 or 0,05 volts and than I need to test my cpu in stress test like aida64 for 20-30 minutes. If cpu will work well, I need to continue to reduce voltage, if there will be a failure, I need to increase cpu voltage by 0,1 v and this voltage will be ideal (the lowest possible voltage for stable working). And then I need to do the same for boost mod. Am I right about this method? Sorry for my english.

Solution
Hey there,

I was experiencing the exact same thing with my rig. It's apparently a problem directly related to Intel and the i7-6700k itself, as Intel over-compensated out of the box for voltage.

In a search for low stable voltage myself, the general consensus from multiple sources is between 1.22 - 1.26.

I set mine to 1.26 as I was seeing random spikes to 1.408 on auto.

My i7-6700k runs at 4.2GHz out of the box, even when Turbo Boost is turned off, so consider this may be the case for yours as well.

With CPUZ stress test 100% load, my CPU went to 1.22 without flux, sitting at 68C.

Therefore, I recommend for you to try 1.24 or 1.26 as well,as these are considered the "sweet spots" used by those that OC up to 4.5GHz. I personally...

humanabandonware

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Hey there,

I was experiencing the exact same thing with my rig. It's apparently a problem directly related to Intel and the i7-6700k itself, as Intel over-compensated out of the box for voltage.

In a search for low stable voltage myself, the general consensus from multiple sources is between 1.22 - 1.26.

I set mine to 1.26 as I was seeing random spikes to 1.408 on auto.

My i7-6700k runs at 4.2GHz out of the box, even when Turbo Boost is turned off, so consider this may be the case for yours as well.

With CPUZ stress test 100% load, my CPU went to 1.22 without flux, sitting at 68C.

Therefore, I recommend for you to try 1.24 or 1.26 as well,as these are considered the "sweet spots" used by those that OC up to 4.5GHz. I personally prefer to have wiggle room for "just in case" scenarios. If you don't, setting your voltage to 1.22 should serve you fine.

Solution