Question 6700k OC issue

Hello, I've recently encountered situations where my 6700k is limiting me in games, so I figured it was finally time to OC.

However, for some reason, I cannot actually OC it. I've disabled all the power/temp saving settings in BIOS and enabled 100% minimum CPU state. But when I boot to windows, the CPU runs at a constant 4.2ghz with a multiplier of x42 displayed in CPU-Z, even though I have it set for 4.3ghz with x43. I've tried going to 4.4/4.5 just to see if it displays accurately, but it doesn't. XMP profile is enabled, RAM speed displays accurately.

My MOBO is a Z170-XP rev1 from gigabyte, I even found someone did a walk through guide for same motherboard and same CPU, I copied his settings as well with no luck.
( Linked HERE for reference. )
16GB 2400Mhz RAM

Any help before I try the BCLK route?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, I'm truly stumped. I've no clue what's going on with this thing.
I was getting no success with increased clock speeds materializing in windows, so I started creeping up BCLK.
I went to 104.9ish instead of 100mhz, CPU-Z says my core speed is 4.4Ghz, but it says my multiplier is x42 even though it's set to x43 in BIOS. MSI afterburner reports my core-speed as being 4.2Ghz, as does task manager. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Well, I couldn't figure it out, but I found a workaround.

I have to overclock the CPU via the intel turbo function. I have to manually set the turbo function of all cores to the multiplier that I desire... seems to be working. Very odd 🤷‍♂️

Last edited: