6700k or 4790k?

bazbazzxo

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
I'm about to purchase a new PC,

It's main uses will be for working with graphics, but sometimes also for gaming.

Programs I use for work are mostly:
Adobe CC (Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator and much less but will use After Effects )

And the games I'll play will be games ranging from Minecraft to GTA V

I tried to make a build that'll fit these needs and still won't be too pricey,
I ended up with two builds, one with the i7 6700k and the other has the 4790k.

I'm not experienced enough with picking parts so I'd really love to hear what you guys think.

Build #1 (6700k)

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC ACFZ13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card
Case: SHARKOON ATX Mid Tower Case (BW9000)
Power Supply: Corsair VS 450W ATX Power Supply

Build #2 (4790k - 32GB RAM)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC ACFZ13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston Savage 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card
Case:
SHARKOON ATX Mid Tower Case (BW9000)
Power Supply: Corsair VS 450W ATX Power Supply

Thanks so much for your time!

Update:
After some searching and considering your recommendations, I tweaked the build a bit, this is the updated one:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
Case: SHARKOON ATX Mid Tower Case (BW9000)
Power Supply: Antec 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

My main questions now are:

• ■ Is the Antec Edge 650 good for this build?
    ■ Are the Ripjaws I picked good? if not, what would be a better choice and why?

Thanks a bunch again guys!

PreXMystic

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
I can see that you are going for a decently powerful workstation by the parts you have chosen and by the prices. I, personally, don't see Skylake as a viable option at this point in time. The performance increase is minimal, and until they come out with Extreme versions or the price goes down exponentially, I won't personally be thinking about going to Skylake.

Now, on you your problem. For the most performance per dollar, I would recommend stepping back a generation of processors. Meaning go with a Haswell or Haswell-E chip. I have put together a part list for you down below with the 5820K powering it. This chip will provide two extra cores with hyperthreading (12 threads in all), while still maintaining roughly the same performance per core as the newer chips. It does, however sip on a few extra watts, but that is something we can fix. The Haswell-E chip is also about $50 cheaper as of now than the Skylake chip.

For your cooler, I have chosen none other than the famed 212 EVO by Cooler Master. Rated at 180 watts of cooling, this heatsink will surely do the job.

For your board I have selected the MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 board. With its all black design, it is sure to make this system stand out to both you and to everyone who sees it. I have personally dealt with MSI boards and can say that I am very happy with their quality and design.

On to the memory. This one was a bit harder to choose. I have chosen a 4x4GB kit of Ripjaws V series DDR4 rated at 3000Mhz. This will surely get you enough performance. I have never used more than my 16 gigs of HyperX Fury while doing rendering, editing, and the sorts. The red color accent on the black board will look amazing. This leads us in to your graphics card.

I have chosen the--albeit a bit pricier--big brother to the 960. The 970 will surely get you all the performance you need. With its 4 gig frame buffer, your rendering and editing will be quite snappy. Coupled with the six core monster that is the 5820K, you will not be in a bad place. When it comes to gaming, you will be able to crank out 1080p performance and 1440p performance with barely any hitches.

For your storage, I have chosen the 2Terabyte Barracuda drive from Seagate. The 2 terabytes will be able to accommodate quite a lot. You can always throw in an SSD boot drive later on down the road and have those snappy read/write speeds to your OS and those frequently used applications.

Since it looks amazing on the inside, why wouldn't it look amazing on the outside? With the Black/red NZXT H440, you will compliment that black board with those hints of red on the card and memory. I actually just ordered the H440 for myself, and am very pleased with the sleek design and the side panel design.

With a modular 650 watt EVGA SuperNova power supply, you will be getting more than enough wattage from your wall with the ability to upgrade to an SLI config later on. With its modular design, you will also be able to get rid of those ugly rainbow mustard/ketchup looking cables and replace them with black ones. You also have the option to replace them with something such as CableMod cables.

I have thrown in a TPLink wireless PCIe card for up to 300Mbps speeds over a wireless connection.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RgvzJx

Feel free to make any changes as necessary and make sure to tell me how it goes! Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding this build!

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
in all honesty id get the cheaper cpu, which is the i7 4790k. id also get a better cooler to overclock it a little, the hyper 212 evo as mentioned above will get you a decent overclock without giving too much heat out.

one thing on that list you really really need to change is that cruddy psu, get a better one, id suggest a 550 watt psu from evga or a better company, thats a budget psu and shouldnt be used for a system such as the one you want.

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
personally this is what i would get, the 960 isnt that good of a gpu and it only has 2gb of memory which just isnt enough these days

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£245.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.98 @ Novatech)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.95 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.95 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£56.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380X 4GB Video Card (£193.48 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.96 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £800.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-23 15:01 GMT+0000

the case is really up to you, but the other parts i would say are deffo a must, if not a 380x get a gtx 970 or an r9 390.
you need an ssd for the programs but an hdd for all the other things like games and work, otherwise you will run out of space.

Rob PCC

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
I'd go with the Corsair Vengance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400 RAM which is currently $70. Otherwise the GSkill Sniper 2x8 2400 mhz kit is also about $70-$80. Why? Fast, reliable, inexpensive. Also, save yourself some money for a MB that's still more than you can probably handle with the Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H. Plenty of features and about $100 less than a Maximus HERO that you probably don't really need for your purposes. The Antec Edge 650W 80PLUS Gold PS is fine for this build. Also, if you plan on using 32GB of RAM make sure you get a Windows Pro version as Home versions don't recognize more than 16GB.

Finally, if you aren't seriously into gaming then a GTX 960 4GB card is a great fit for you. You don't need more than this especially at 1080p resolution.