Question 6700K Overclocking Confusion

Jan 12, 2021
Hey there, I've only recently gotten into OCing and I'd still consider myself pretty new, but familiar with the basics. I'm running an i7 6700K with a Cryorig H7 air cooler on an MSI Z170A SLI Plus mobo. For about a month I was running at 4.6GHz / 1.380V and never had any issues while doing video editing, simultaneous gaming and streaming, and the occasional Cinebench R23 pass. Idle temps were low 30s and load temps were in the low 70s. I wasn't happy with the voltage I was at because I wasn't very precise with my initial OC job. So over the last few days I've been trying to tweak it more and do some actual stress tests, and at some point I realized my bios version was super old so I updated that. I feel like I'm either missing something or I just got super unlucky, because the first config I found that could run p95 Small FFTs for more than 15-20min was 4.4GHz / 1.340V, with temps in the high 70s. Trying 4.5GHz / 1.395V would barely make it 10 seconds into p95 before giving errors, so the hopes of 4.6 being remotely stable at sane voltages was out the window. And since updating the bios my original config from before the update can no longer make it through Cinebench, I need to up it to 1.390V at least to make it through a pass, which is higher than I'd like it for daily use. I feel like I've read a lot of 6700K OC stories and nearly all of them get much better voltages than I do, so if someone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong or just tell me that I got unlucky it'd be greatly appreciated!

ASK THE COMMUNITY