6700k shot using all cores?

So am i missing something? Im folding and trying to run the stress test so it should by all logic be literally using every single ounce my cpu has but intel extreme utility is only showing 2 active cores running and my temps see lower than usual which is odd. Usually when folding they are hanging around 55c max but these are much lower than usual and that 2 cores active thing is making me wonder why it is not showing 4 cores active........any help is much appreciated!

Hmmm ok then. I shall uninstall it. It just seemed really weird mt temps seem to have dropped a few degrees when under full load and that program only showing 2 cores. I assumed the intel utility was a reputable software. Meh perhaps my room was just extra cold this morning and that is the reasoning for the 5 degree + drop in temps.

i dont like prime. The newer version has been known to cause overvolting and cause damage to cpu's by using unrealistic stressing methods. I will try and download aida64 though. There are articles around the web talking about prime95 causing damage to product after version 26? i think

It's because it's unrealistic that it's a good utility to have... It tests literally every instruction set that the CPU has and produces absolute maximum heat from the CPU. If the CPU is going to overheat, it'll do it in a stress test by Prime95.

However, AIDA64 Extreme is also a very good tool to have. It produces similar results, but doesn't produce quite as much heat.

If its unrealistic testing then that does nothing for me though. Usually i do real world testing like folding or gaming because those are normal tasks for me. I will put it through some tests when i get home. Im folding right now both gpu's and cpu so when i get off work we shall see how it does.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

The issue with Prime95 is VERSION specific only.

While it's true that later versions of Prime95 (such as 28.9) use AVX code which cause unrealistically high temperatures, just for the record, there is nothing wrong with Prime95 Version 26.6.

There are several utilities better suited for stability testing, yet Prime95 version 26.6 Small FFT's remains the most ideal utility for thermal testing because it's a steady-state 100% workload within 3% of TDP at stock settings, and produces steady-state temperatures. There are no other utilities that so closely match these parameter. Further, this is the test that Real Temp uses to test the DTS thermal sensors in the cores.

For stability testing I recommend Asus RealBench which runs a realistic AVX workload within 3% TDP at stock settings, however, it’s a cyclic workload with fluctuating temperatures, which isn’t suitable for CPU thermal testing:

Asus RealBench - http://rog.asus.com/15852014/overclocking/realbench-v2-4-launched-with-x99-support/

For thermal testing please download and run Prime95 version 26.6:

Prime95 v26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

Run only Small FFT's for just 10 minutes.

Use Core Temp v1.2 to monitor your Core Temperatures:

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp

Also, you might want to read this Sticky:

Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Im not so worried about temp testing. My main issue with the post was the 2 active core thing. My temps have always been consistent under load at about 50-55c max while folding which holds 98-100% load on my cpu. This morning however after installing the intel extreme tuning utility yesterday my temps were only in the 40's under full load so it seemed like something was amiss

CompuTronix

Intel Master
As weberdarren97 has pointed out, it's not recommended to run concurrent monitoring softwares as they can interfere with one another. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is very invasive, and has likely changed some BIOS settings such as XMP profiles, which can adversely affect core temperatures.

Also, don't confuse CPU Usage with CPU workload as they are not interchangeable terms. For example, AIDA64's Sytem Stability Test - Stress CPU - will indicate 100% CPU Usage, but it's only a 64% workload.

I recommend that you uninstall Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (which is only a 93% workload) then check your BIOS settings to be sure they've been restored to your previous configuration. Reboot into Windows and check CAM as well as Task Manager's Performance Tab to see if all has returned to normal.

CT :sol:

Ok will give that a go then try out the asus tweak thing. I just want to make sure im running in tip top shape. I have no need to overclock yet as i haven't reached over like 60% cpu utilization even while playing 64 man bf4 maps. I just like to make sure everything is in its best shape so when i do start applying my OC which i will eventually i have a perfect baseline to start from and not some random non sense that is "auto" like voltage. This dang thing was volting to like 1.4 somthing volts when i first built it and was hitting like 70c. After voltage tweaking i got it down to 1.2v and its stable and running at a max (when folding full load) 55c.