[SOLVED] 6700k to a 10900k for VR

Agentlekiller

Reputable
Jul 22, 2020
Hi, I have a 2080 ti with my 6700k it's been running great in 2d games. I've now got a valve index and I think the cpu is limiting the experience. Can anyone help me understand the performance increase of getting the 10900k compared to my current 6700k in VR? I normally get the best on the market when I choose to upgrade so I can run it for a few years. (I don't upgrade every year and the 2080ti purchase was because my 3 1/2 year old 980 ti to died.)

Solution
Last time I checked VR cared mostly on cpu for single core and quad core speeds.
As far as I know nothing else changes so you will gain similar stuff as listed here:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/4071vs3502

Usually ~20 % up to 40% depending on the title. it might reach limit on gpu, sooner so then nothing will be gained for that title above it.

What is the performance of current set ? Run a task manager in background and check if either cpu or gpu hits 100% first.
If you see a gpu limit already, then you won't gain almost anything.
Last time I checked VR cared mostly on cpu for single core and quad core speeds.
As far as I know nothing else changes so you will gain similar stuff as listed here:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/4071vs3502

Usually ~20 % up to 40% depending on the title. it might reach limit on gpu, sooner so then nothing will be gained for that title above it.

What is the performance of current set ? Run a task manager in background and check if either cpu or gpu hits 100% first.
If you see a gpu limit already, then you won't gain almost anything.

Solution
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I have a 7700K (for windows 7 and programming personally), my biggest issue with VR even with a 1070 8GB GTX is actually using Windows 7.

The 6700K is one of the all around fastest per single core processors right now for older models with 8 cores, right behind the 7700K.

I didn't look at the exact 10th gen Intel you mentioned, but most I have SEEN are lower (per core, or GHz if you prefer) than the 6700K

Windows 10 is the real deal breaker running VR due to software, at least as far as the Oculus Rift goes. I don't have any other headset, but I don't have any issues playing games either.

I do need a new GTX eventually, but i'm waiting on the 3000 series or a good deal on a 2080 model.

This is my experience, not much spec sheet behind it, considering our systems are quite similar.

On a side note, normal memory is important for gaming as well, some argue more important than the processor itself...and let me be clear, I do mean argue lol.

I have 32 GB DDR4 @3000 (not even using XMP) in my rig, just another option to consider if you DO have issues.

Agentlekiller

Reputable
Jul 22, 2020
I have a 7700K (for windows 7 and programming personally), my biggest issue with VR even with a 1070 8GB GTX is actually using Windows 7.

The 6700K is one of the all around fastest per single core processors right now for older models with 8 cores, right behind the 7700K.

I didn't look at the exact 10th gen Intel you mentioned, but most I have SEEN are lower (per core, or GHz if you prefer) than the 6700K

Windows 10 is the real deal breaker running VR due to software, at least as far as the Oculus Rift goes. I don't have any other headset, but I don't have any issues playing games either.

I do need a new GTX eventually, but i'm waiting on the 3000 series or a good deal on a 2080 model.

This is my experience, not much spec sheet behind it, considering our systems are quite similar.

On a side note, normal memory is important for gaming as well, some argue more important than the processor itself...and let me be clear, I do mean argue lol.

I have 32 GB DDR4 @3000 (not even using XMP) in my rig, just another option to consider if you DO have issues.

No issues I just would like to get more FPS as the valve index can go to 144ghz I can get that on basic games. The cpu is 4 years old now and thought a new one might get more out of the 2080 ti and valve index . Maybe I'll upgrade my Ram. Is 32 GB over kill?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
These days for the cost (this is opinion based) I personally don't think so.

16 GB will do but the cost isn't too big a difference and I have seen my entire 32 GB used at points--even by simple things like a defrag on Win 7 ...if I was future proofing i'd get 2x32 GB if your not sweating for cash, granted your system and motherboard can handle it.

The 32 GB sets are certainly good priced right now at newegg though. I could have just got what was $200 (2x16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @2666) when I built my rig (with a 6700K 😉) 4 years ago for I think $70, I upgraded to the 3000 RGB sticks because I was building a low-profile rig for an entertainment center (and VR) in my living room, my rig is a flashy beast 2ft tall x 2ft long as it was my first full build for myself with the intention of getting....well, attention heh. THAT was overkill lol.

In my life, I have never seem a memory stick break or die and i've been doing repairs for 25+ yrs.

I have a 2002 XP comp using dimm without any external protection that was stuffed in a box with razor blades an all kinds of junk for ages an works fine still, not a great way to treat them I admit lol...but I was young and foolish.

I say go as big and as fast with as much of a compatible brand for any mobo as you can (corsair, crucial) in 2 slots (make sure they are not generic uncovered 1990 looking sticks, have heat spreaders and such), as using 4 can be a heatsink fan blocker and/or cause more heat from memory you likely won't need for quite awhile.

Simply because they rarely die, its one of the few things worth the money doing right ONCE in my opinion, but make sure you check your mobo for limitations first.

Again, this is how I see it, I'm broke most of the time, I always want to stay ahead...so its all my personal opinion here, nothing more. It really comes down to money/compatibility and if they release DDR5 a week from now.

I'm not that much of a hardware addict, more of a programmer. I live, I learn, I give my best suggestions. Nothing more.