6700k vs 5930k for Titan X sli

barnaby32

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Essentially my question boils down to whether the industry's future (next 4-5 years) software and drivers would benefit (for gaming) more from higher clock speeds or extra cores. I do not really understand what all dx12 is bringing to the table but it seems like it is going to be a pretty good leap in the PC's ability to maximize efficiency with the hardware available to it. I started the thread with the intention of asking whether either would be at risk of bottlenecking the dual Titan X, then realized it is more relevant to ask about how dx12 will impact how game designers design their games. The ability to upgrade is irrelevant to me and both CPUs would be overclocked a fair amount. Thanks in advance.

barnaby32

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
While value does have some bearing, if I am going for dual Titans, it is obviously secondary to performance and 5930k is the cheapest that offers 40PCIe lanes as to allow a double 16x.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
A few points from me:

1. Sli Titan X is not a good choice considering pascal is round the corner imo.
2. Buy SLI 980 ti instead of titan X put a small overclock and boom - saved yourself a ton of cash.
3. The IPC of the 6700 vs 5820k is + ~7.5% performance.
4. Neither CPU will bottleneck an titan X's running at 8x PCIe 2.0 in SLI - never mind PCIe 3.0 @ 8x

barnaby32

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Thank you for the response, I actually don't intend on buying a computer until pascal is released and by then broadwell e will probably be here as well so all of this is really to get an idea for budgeting purposes because I doubt the prices will vary much from what is currently in the market. Really I need to make the decision between z170 and x99 to go along with 2 high end graphics cards.