[SOLVED] 6700k wont boot on auto voltage i must set voltage to 1.25v

Lucca777

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
hey so after owning my pc for 4 years now I decided to update the bios and lost the oc settings. I first noticed if I pressed the windows key while in a game and went on YouTube it would close the game I thought it was an update so I reinstalled windows and had alot of trouble bsod random closing of anything I would open. I then tried another 6700k and it worked perfect with the voltage set on auto. with no physical damage to the original cpu I started testing the CPU that was bsod so I put the volts from auto to 1.25 and it works perfect. any idea what's going on?

Solution
Sounds about right, sometimes they just won't go higher and that much more voltage just isn't worth the payout. 4.5GHz at 1.3V. Yea, that will do.

Also, about the drivers for the chipset, if you looked at your motherboards site and there's nothing else, then there's not much else to do.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
That's normal CPU degradation, running OC for a long time will sometimes cause this.
Some CPU's age well while OC'd others not and will refuse to work on anything but higher voltages.

My old 3820 has been running on 1.288V since I got her basically, I have to be very persuasive to get running her on lower voltages these days.

Lucca777

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
That's normal CPU degradation, running OC for a long time will sometimes cause this.
Some CPU's age well while OC'd others not and will refuse to work on anything but higher voltages.
ahhhh makes sense so am I expecting it to die soon? or it might have abit more life. my temp on idle is 32° waiting for updates to finish befor I download cpu monitor program.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
If your cooling is up to it, 1.45-1.48 is where I'd set a hard limit and say go no further. You can tune your clockspeed up until you become unstable again, then tune it down some.
When I have to go to 4.8GHz I have to almost push 1.4V.

Just, don't do any of this until you have HWInfo64 running, so you can keep an eye on your CPU temperatures.
For everyday use, no higher than very low 80°C's, preferably LOWER than high 70°C's during gaming.

Lucca777

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
ok this should be fun i noticed after I changed the thermal paste it went from 25° to 30° in bios but I'm not sure if the 25° was made up in my head as I wasn't taking notice. water cooled thanks for the temp guidelines ill report back what numbers I can achieve.

Lucca777

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
ok so I updated all drivers well I think I did is there any easy way? I can't find updates for the series chipset family drivers they are all from 2016? not so good when it comes to updating the drivers if anyone could help that would be great nvidea driver updated. I'm at 4.5ghz 1.3v running cinebench 20 terrible score 2375 Max temp 73°
at full load 25° idle i havent lowered the voltage to find that goldy lock zone... I will not go above 80° and I will clock it back to 4.5 for daily use but I'll see what I can manage to get should I start a new post for help with the driver updates? msi website is so outdated

Lucca777

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
4.6 @ 1.375v idle temp 32° Max temp 78° score 2429 might try 4.7 lower the volts until unstable then +1 try and get some heat out. stable at 4.6 will run a time spy benchmark/ turn off gpu.. only cpu. keeping my 4.5ghz for everyday pretty happy. EDIT: don't feel sale to push any more i was at 1.40v still not stable at 4.7ghz happy at 4.5ghz
1.3v

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Sounds about right, sometimes they just won't go higher and that much more voltage just isn't worth the payout. 4.5GHz at 1.3V. Yea, that will do.

Also, about the drivers for the chipset, if you looked at your motherboards site and there's nothing else, then there's not much else to do.

Solution