6800 GT vs 800XT

jvr

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Ok. Which is a better card for the long haul (2 years plus)? I am up in the air on a P4 3.4 Ghz or an AMD64 3500 for my processor, but the video card thing is getting confusing. Need your help.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Let me look into my crystal ball...wait, they don't exist. Your guess is as good as mine as to which will be better in the long run. MY opinion is that the GT is a better deal NOW....but who knows what will reign supreme in two years.

The A64 is the better gaming processor while they are nearly tied in multimedia with the P4 having a slight lead.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

jvr

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Vapor:

Thanks for the honesty, and humor. I am intriqued by the comment regarding AMD and multimedia as I plan on doing some minor video editing on this machine. I beleive you thik this is a good choice then.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
IMO, the 3500+ and 6800GT combo is your best choice...the 3500+ is a solid performer in multimedia and is much superior in gaming. Both processors are fast at both, but I give the nod to the 3500+ because of the upgradable platform and the superior gaming.

I give the nod to the GT because it 1) costs less typically, 2) can actually be found, 3) typically OCs to the Ultra's levels, 4) has comparable performance with more future looking features (SM3.0 and HDR lighting (amazing looking in FarCry patch 1.3), namely). Oh yeah, nVidia's driver team is pretty solid...look for more performance advances coming up.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
If you do minor video editing, get the AMD CPU. If you have some experience in video editing, you should know that most of the time is "wasted" in editing, and Video Editing don't need a lot of power.

I have a Mini-DV camera and I use Vegas 4.0 to do video editing, and my Athlon 1800+ (o/c to 2400+) is fast enough to do it. So the Athlon 64 3500+ will be MORe than enough for casual video editing!

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

Like Vapor, this is a guess, the X800XT is the best bet IMO for the ultra-near-future (3-6mth or less), then (6mths to 1_ year) who knows, then (1+-2+yrs) the structural advanatages of the GT should be benificial in most applications as we move towards Longhorn with it's DX10/DXnext focus.

There are advanatages to the GF6800 architecture, but right now they aren't fully exploited and the the XT/XTPE tend to lead under many situations. For the long term my leaning would be GT, but it may be like saying the FX5600 is more future proof than the GF4ti, in threory that's true but in practicallity the advanatages aren't significant and buying a better card newer card when the advanaced games arrive may be the best solution.

That's my view of the future, but like VAPOR says, there's no way to know for sure.

EDIT: Yeah and if this is focused on video editing these are both far more cards than you need for that, if you just want to do some video editing with them but mainly play games, then they will both do very well. The GF6800 has some addition encoding/decoding features but does not support HDTV now or in the future unlike was planned because of a hardware issue, so if you are thinking of going that route long term, then you might have to go with the X800, but really I wouldn't worry about it, just think about getting an RGB/DVI compatible HDTV. For DV editing I don't think there is an advanatage to either, image quality is good on both.

So for games + some editing, then my initially recommendations stand, for only video editing then go Matrox P650, for ALOT of both, get two seperate rigs like me. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 07/07/04 04:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
If you are in it for the "long haul," then defiantely get the x800xt. Those damned 6800 cards burn VERY hot and Id doubt that they last long

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to XT(463/795)

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Erm, yeah! They run out of fuel and then implode creating a mini black hole! Nvidia will destroy the world!

Run away!!!

<font color=blue>The day <font color=green>Microsoft</font color=green> will make something that doesn't suck is the day they'll start making vacuum cleaners.</font color=blue>

LOL @ both addiarmadar & snorkius! :lol:

80c is pretty hot, but I'm not sure about it creating a singularity. :cool:

'There's a little black spot on the sun today!', hey it's just a Police kind of day today.

'Do the Russians love their Graphics cards Too?' :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
snorkius, I just have to say that your sig is great. lol...

"Go forward until the last round is fired and the last drop of gas is expended...then go forward on foot!" -Patton

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Thanks...

<font color=blue>The day <font color=green>Microsoft</font color=green> will make something that doesn't suck is the day they'll start making vacuum cleaners.</font color=blue>