Question 6800 XT audio crackling but not integrated graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
When my HDMI is connected to my new 6800 XT I get crackling from the motherboard audio jack and the case audio jack, but not from my monitor's audio or Bluetooth. When I use my 5600G's integrated graphics instead I get no audio issues. I can replicate the audio problems every time by playing 4K video. It causes really bad crackling every time but not on every video, some work fine but most don't. During low intensity tasks like web browsing there's no audio problems. I stressed the CPU using CPU-Z while playing music and there was no crackling. I did the same thing to the GPU with Furmark and didn't cause crackling while I had music playing. When my system is under heavy load playing a game I usually get intermittent crackling. It's really annoying, but it's not constant like it is with most 4K videos.

I can't find anyone else with quite the same issue online. I've tried various fixes for many hours to no avail. It's my first computer that I've ever built and I'm not at all good at troubleshooting driver or BIOS issues so it's possible I've missed something obvious.

PC specs: 5600G, 6800 XT Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC, 4x8GB 3600 CL16 RAM, High Power PG-750W PSU

Last edited:

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
computer is a noisy enviroment, crackling could be comming from vrms under heavy load
external soundcard should help
I just used CPUZ and Furmark at the same time while listening to an audio file. It causes some crackling, but nothing close to 4K videos. I'm not sure that squares with what you're saying. My integrated graphics could easily handle 4K movies, so why would it all of a sudden cause problems with my 6800 XT?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Might be your PSU. It isn't on the PSU tier list besides a High power HPG which is Tier D recommended for iGPU system only eg. not for use with a discrete gpu. I just googled and got no hits for a review of High Power PG-750W PSU

So guessing it's probably a piece de resistance. Send it back and get a corsair Rmx or Tx-m of what capacity. If the problem is electrical noise it seems like the causality loop is linked to unknown doubtful meridians of the problem.

Might be your PSU. It isn't on the PSU tier list besides a High power HPG which is Tier D recommended for iGPU system only eg. not for use with a discrete gpu. I just googled and got no hits for a review of High Power PG-750W PSU

So guessing it's probably a piece de resistance. Send it back and get a corsair Rmx or Tx-m of what capacity. If the problem is electrical noise it seems like the causality loop is linked to unknown doubtful meridians of the problem.
its on tier B list (GD-F HPJ <=750W )

I just used CPUZ and Furmark at the same time while listening to an audio file. It causes some crackling, but nothing close to 4K videos. I'm not sure that squares with what you're saying. My integrated graphics could easily handle 4K movies, so why would it all of a sudden cause problems with my 6800 XT?
i think i dont follow

if you think its software issue, run latency mon, that will tell you if its driver issue or not
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

if latencymon reports nothing, then using external DAC might be the easiest solution (bluetooth or your monitor speakers have all their own DAC away from your PC), on the other hand your internal DAC on mainboard pickups EMI from your hardware, so you can go with USB/HDMI/tosslink for digital audio

DavidM012

Distinguished
• High Power | Astro GD [HPA] / PT [HPA] 700W - Element Smart EP-S - Simplicity ST HPG-T12S (tier d)

Rather cryptic model no.s/names

I'm struggling to idenitfy the unit under discussion. A GD-F is the model of a different unit. I simply don't see PG on any lists exactly.

Need more info: What's the Model Name and Number exactly? For example there is a model HP-750-G14C so.. it's kind of difficult to interpret.

Some oems make tier list recommended and not recommended psus so ... well I looked and thunk maybe a poor quality unit could be a source of electrical noise.

• High Power | Astro GD [HPA] / PT [HPA] 700W - Element Smart EP-S - Simplicity ST HPG-T12S (tier d)

Rather cryptic model no.s/names

I'm struggling to idenitfy the unit under discussion. A GD-F is the model of a different unit. I simply don't see PG on any lists exactly.

Need more info: What's the Model Name and Number exactly? For example there is a model HP-750-G14C so.. it's kind of difficult to interpret.

Some oems make tier list recommended and not recommended psus so ... well I looked and thunk maybe a poor quality unit could be a source of electrical noise.
GD HP1-J750GD-F12S
his psu name
GD-F HPJ <=750W under psu tier list

and yes its rather cryptic :)

pg-750 is item name. gd whatever is model name
ad_20200807174754_2.jpg

http://www.highpower-tech.com/Global/products_main.php?class=20200723162025&id=20200807174555

Reactions: Vic 40

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
Someone on reddit told me to change the audio bitrate. I changed it from 16 bit, 48000 HZ to 24 bit, 192000 HZ and now it's working flawlessly. LatencyMon didn't report any issues BTW so using it wouldn't have helped to discover this particular problem.

Now about the PSU, here it is listed online. I found this webpage using the serial number. My friend gave me his for free, it was from a prebuilt he bought, which explains why it's something no one's ever heard of. I was worried before that maybe the PSU should be replaced now that I have a beefy graphics card. Can anyone look at its stats in the link to tell me if it's any good or if it's so bad it needs to be replaced ASAP?

Last edited:

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
I wonder if this was a workaround for the underlying issue. It works 99% of the time now. But when I'm seeding/downloading torrents the same issues crop up. And I expect I'll have to deal with it in other scenarios I haven't had happen yet.

I changed the bit rate of the Realtec Audio speakers. Is there anywhere else I might have to adjust bitrates or anything else that could be bottlenecking it? To reiterate, I didn't have any of these problems on 5600G graphics.

Dec 31, 2022
I wonder if this was a workaround for the underlying issue. It works 99% of the time now. But when I'm seeding/downloading torrents the same issues crop up. And I expect I'll have to deal with it in other scenarios I haven't had happen yet.

I changed the bit rate of the Realtec Audio speakers. Is there anywhere else I might have to adjust bitrates or anything else that could be bottlenecking it? To reiterate, I didn't have any of these problems on 5600G graphics.
I had the same issue but with a 5700G and RTX 3070. I tried pretty much everything including a clean install, BIOS upgrade, swapping the motherboard and RAM. The only thing that fixed it completely was setting PCIe bifurcation in the BIOS to 2x8, but obviously it's less than ideal using only 8 PCIe lanes with PCIe 3.0. When I switched to another CPU the issue went away without using PCIe bifurcation. Most likely your CPU has some faulty PCIe lanes and you need to RMA it, don't waste your time with anything else.

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
I had the same issue but with a 5700G and RTX 3070. I tried pretty much everything including a clean install, BIOS upgrade, swapping the motherboard and RAM. The only thing that fixed it completely was setting PCIe bifurcation in the BIOS to 2x8, but obviously it's less than ideal using only 8 PCIe lanes with PCIe 3.0. When I switched to another CPU the issue went away without using PCIe bifurcation. Most likely your CPU has some faulty PCIe lanes and you need to RMA it, don't waste your time with anything else.
I'll look into it. Thanks for the reply. I didn't expect to find anyone else with the same issue.

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
I tested some things and changing the setting to 2x8 got rid of the crackling completely. Anyone know how I might be able to conclusively proved that this is the issue with my CPU? Any kind of test I can run?

Jan 31, 2023
I'm personnaly facing similar symptoms with a Ryzen 5500/B350M/3060 Ti/Sound Blaster Z. It only appeared after upgrading from an RX 590 to an RTX 3060 Ti, with both a PCIe Sound Blaster Z and a USB Realtek ALC4040. Onboard audio is not affected, or at least not as much.

For those who may be experiencing similar issues with Cezanne chips, here are some "fixes" you can try to mitigate and identify the problem. If you are testing these, please reply to this comment, as I am trying to figure out if Ryzen Cezanne is not the culprit.
  • Setting RAM speed to 2133MHz/1067 FCLK if your ram is dual channel, or only using one stick in single channel.
  • Setting GPU PCIe bandwidth to pcie 2.0 x16 or 3.0 x8.
  • Running Prime95 with Large FFTs.
The easiest way I've found to trigger the issue, if it is related to mine, is to play a video, or an audio file in ASIO if you have it, and scroll through a PDF with images in Edge at the same time. Some games also seem to be more affected, like Rocket League, BeamNG, Genshin Impact, or The Witcher 3 since the next gen update.

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
I tested some things and changing the setting to 2x8 got rid of the crackling completely. Anyone know how I might be able to conclusively proved that this is the issue with my CPU? Any kind of test I can run?
Since I'm seeing renewed interest in this issue. I can't edit my post so I'll add here that in hindsight I'm not 100% positive changing this setting solved it. I didn't do enough testing to make sure. And at the moment I can't be bothered.

Last edited:

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
Now I'm 100% sure that setting the PCIE bifurcation to 2x8 completely resolved the issue. Was @Eddie65428 correct that this is indicative of a fault with my CPU? How could I go about proving that that's the case? Any tests I can run?

MrSuperhate

Prominent
Nov 10, 2022
I've recently noticed issues with hardware acceleration as well, that persist whether or not I'm on PCIE x8 or x16, but are not present on integrated graphics. I get artifacting for certain 4K videos and I can't use hardware acceleration on more than one application at a time without it causing freezing and stuttering. In my case, 4K YouTube while running 4K wallpaper engine MP4s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS