mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
I have had a 6800 XT for a while now and I am curious on temps. This has become a concern because I am trying to OC. With the settings on default the card will idle at 60C and during games can hit 90C. For OC when the power limit slider is adjusted to 15%. Temps sky rocket to the junction throttle limit of 110*C. Without changing any of the frequency values. Are these numbers normal?

System Specs:
ASUS Tuf Z690 D4 Wifi
I7 12700k
6800 XT Reference Edition
EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold
Corsair 4000D Case
Front mounted 360mm AIO
3 Top exhaust fans

Solution
Ended up removing all software related to overclocking. Used AMD's built in performance tuning, before I was not able to adjust the voltage but now I can. Undervolted from 1150 to 1025, Slightly adjusted fan curve, +15% PWS, 2450 and stable. Results are a max junction of 82C and not 115C, with 'edge' temps being 50-66C. I will look into the washer mod with maybe some thermal paste if the problem continues. Thank you all for your help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's the temperature of the air going into the gpu cooler?

Did you install the radiator fans facing this direction?
iu

Some folks do mistakenly install them like that.

FYI, how you can post images of the build here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
What's the temperature of the air going into the gpu cooler?

Did you install the radiator fans facing this direction?
iu

Some folks do mistakenly install them like that.

FYI, how you can post images of the build here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Thanks for the reply. I did not install the fans that way. The fans are behind the AIO pulling air rather than pushing. The air going into the case is 65F. I will mention I did run a test with all panels off and every fan at its highest fan curve including the video card. Temps still climbed to the max junction. For example Read Dead Online, and FNaF Security Breach. Ambient temps run 76C-84C. Hot Spot runs 99C-100C with stock settings. Simply changing the power slider, these temps increase & throttle. Even with panels on/off and all fans maxed or not.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply. I did not install the fans that way. The fans are behind the AIO pulling air rather than pushing. The air going into the case is 65F. I will mention I did run a test with all panels off and every fan at its highest fan curve including the video card. Temps still climbed to the max junction. For example Read Dead Online, and FNaF Security Breach. Ambient temps run 76C-84C. Hot Spot runs 99C-100C with stock settings. Simply changing the power slider, these temps increase & throttle. Even with panels on/off and all fans maxed or not.
Was this card purchased second hand? At first, it sounds like an airflow problem.

No, I don't think this is normal:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/34.html
This was the test setup:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/6.html

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks.

Looks like one case fan isn't working, but that's not going to be responsible for those temperatures. Everything else looks to be in order.
I suggest repasting the gpu core. If you're comfortable doing it yourself, what kind of paste do you have on hand?
If you're not ok doing that, take it to a shop and have them do it.

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah 1 of the fans died and still has to be replaced. I do have some Corsair XTM50 on hand that's new. However I heard that the 6800 XT has a thermal pad rather than paste. Doing paste is this enough to close the gab between the die and cooler?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So it looks like what they already did with the carbon pad + vapor chamber is already good. Repaste not worth it.

I'm led back to airflow... What you're getting here: "For example Read Dead Online, and FNaF Security Breach. Ambient temps run 76C-84C. Hot Spot runs 99C-100C with stock settings. Simply changing the power slider, these temps increase & throttle."
... is normal, until you raise the power slider. More power needs more air moving.

Do you have desk/box/table fan around that you can aim at the gpu?

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
So it looks like what they already did with the carbon pad + vapor chamber is already good. Repaste not worth it.

I'm led back to airflow... What you're getting here: "For example Read Dead Online, and FNaF Security Breach. Ambient temps run 76C-84C. Hot Spot runs 99C-100C with stock settings. Simply changing the power slider, these temps increase & throttle."
... is normal, until you raise the power slider. More power needs more air moving.

Do you have desk/box/table fan around that you can aim at the gpu?

I opened the case and put a large bedroom fan in front of the components and a desk fan under the GPU. Temps did not change, It did take longer to reach them but not long. After these tests, the hot spot was at 96C and ambient at 80C. After power limit, shot right up too 110C for the hotspot and 87C for the ambient temps.

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Is this card still up for warranty? I can't recommend paste when it may not even work.

Maybe, I don't think I will bother doing any warranty on it. If its not over heating being stock, might just sell it and get the new 7000 series. Although I read that some users have had issues with the cards orientation. Maybe try laying the case down and stress temps again?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can confirm that having the GPU sitting vertically saved 10C on the cards overall temps. My other concern is, could drivers have anything to do with temps?
Wow, 10C is a huge change...
Card sag - not seeing any noticeable sag in the images though... or by turning the case on its side, you've improved bottom air intake to the card?

Drivers can do that - usually an overclock profile, running with no fps caps, or AMD's own version of Max Performance Power Management Mode.

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Wow, 10C is a huge change...
Card sag - not seeing any noticeable sag in the images though... or by turning the case on its side, you've improved bottom air intake to the card?

Drivers can do that - usually an overclock profile, running with no fps caps, or AMD's own version of Max Performance Power Management Mode.

Ahh I see, just did a clean install and doesn't seem to change. It's odd how turning the GPU to its side improves performance.. However Its weird because I blasted the card with 2 large fans with the panel removed and that did not fix it.

TRENDING THREADS