Question 6800 XT Suddenly very Loud

Hi all,

I have an RX 6800 XT Saphire Nitro+ GPU. Since last week, my GPU fans have been very loud.

Usually, the GPU fans would be completely off when browsing/desktop-use. They would occasionally turn on when playing light games like WoW Classic. Even for more demanding games like Warzone, the fans would be on but barely audible.

All of the sudden, the GPU fans have been very very loud, to the point where I am hearing it through my headphones. I am also noticing that only 1 out of 3 fans are spinning. The other 2 would sometimes start spinning but then stop spinning after a few seconds.

What I've checked:
  • I tried swapping between the 3 BIOS modes.
  • I've verified both HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner. The temperatures are as usual; 30C when Idle/Browsing the web. 50-60C under load depending on the game that I am playing.
  • I have the AMD Adrenalin software to do all of my GPU driver updates and have double-checked they are up to date.
  • Both AMD Adrenalin and MSI Afterburner are reporting that the GPU fans are at 0 RPM.
  • Opened up my case completely so that the PC is running similarly to an open bench.
What are your thoughts?

My Specs
Ryzen 5 5600X
Noctua NH-D15S
ASrock B550 Taichi
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x8GB 3600Mhz
Adata SX8200 Pro 512GB
Super Flower Leadex III Gold ARGB 850w
Fractal Design Meshify C

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY