Question 6800 XT worth it for 1440p in 2023?

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Hello all,

I've been looking into building a rig again and I'm completely out of the Hardware world (been now for a while, my last build was in mid 2017 with a RX 580) goes to show how long I've been out, I stopped following once GPU prices hit the fan and the whole mining craze. My main objective is to enjoy the upcoming RE4 Remake in 2k 144hz + RT if that is an option. I've seen some benchmarks of the 6800 XT in Village, and assuming the upcoming remake has the same hardware demands, I'd assume I'd be just fine for QHD 144hz and even RT enabled gameplay.

I had been looking into a 7900 XT(X) but I've seen that the 6800 XT goes for 650 Euros where I live now, which makes it in comparison to the 7900 series rather cheap. (7900 XT goes for 950 - 1000, XTX goes for 1200 - 1400 for reference).Would it be a good idea to opt for the 6800 XT and a Ryzen 5 7600 with regard to future upgradability?

The idea would be to tag along some 850w PSU (even if it is overkill) + get a higher quality motherboard, a better case and maybe even some faster ram with lower latency. AM5 would allow me to upgrade to the soon to release 7000X3D whenever I need, and the 850w PSU would give me some much needed overhead when I'd inevitably need to upgrade my GPU.

So, do I lose anything by having an overkill PSU? I think I'm going 100+watts overboard AFAIK the 6800 XT needs a quality 750w PSU, and does my roadmap here even make any sense?

Apologies once again, I am severely out of the hardware world now, up until several weeks ago I didn't even know we had PCIE 5.0 and DDR5 memory....

Let see,
  • 1440p resolution,
  • High refresh rate display ~ 144hz
  • Ray Tracing
Any current Ryzen 5 / Intel Core i5 + decent aftermarket tower cooler.
At least 16GB of RAM @ DDR5
Decent to high-end Mobo.
A pc Case with goodf airflow.
And a 850 watts PSU, something like a Corsair RMx series.
(+ one or more SSD of course)

If you don't really care about RayTracing, outside RE4 Remake, then I guess the RX 6800XT is a good option.

If you do care about RT outside RE4 remake, then I would probably aim for an nvidia card.

Attention: Keep in mind that the game is not out yet, so take the "system requirements" and testing you see online with a big grain of salt.

Reactions: Exploding PSU

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Let see,
  • 1440p resolution,
  • High refresh rate display ~ 144hz
  • Ray Tracing
Any current Ryzen 5 / Intel Core i5 + decent aftermarket tower cooler.
At least 16GB of RAM @ DDR5
Decent to high-end Mobo.
A pc Case with goodf airflow.
And a 850 watts PSU, something like a Corsair RMx series.
(+ one or more SSD of course)

If you don't really care about RayTracing, outside RE4 Remake, then I guess the RX 6800XT is a good option.

If you do care about RT outside RE4 remake, then I would probably aim for an nvidia card.

Attention: Keep in mind that the game is not out yet, so take the "system requirements" and testing you see online with a big grain of salt.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I assume the R5 7600 wouldn't create any sort of bottleneck for the 6800 XT in 1440p right? Regarding system reqs, I'm well aware of that, however considering how well optimized the last few releases were and how well the RE Engine handles, I'd hope to be fine in that regard. (The upcoming remake has the same system requirements as village, I cannot imagine them being very much different in that performance aspect).

Regarding RAM, I am shooting for 32 GB @ DDR5 with 5200+ speed. You suggested a mid - high end AM5 Board, any concrete suggestions in what features I should look out for? And regarding PSU, I was thinking about an MSI MPG A850G or a Corsair HX850, I would be fine with the 100+ watt overkill for the card? This way I could upgrade later down the road without having to worry about power draw and whatnot.

I mean the 6800xt does really well at 1440p still, but the 6900xt isn't too much more in some places and its just a little bit faster. The 6800xt anyway with More Power Tool can match a 3080ti in a lot of titles with no ray tracing of course.

the 7600 wont be a bottleneck, its plenty fast enough, and as for PSU, an 850 is actually a lot for it, Plenty of people who run a non ref 6800xt on a 650watt as long as the PSU is ya know, decen't which both of them that you have listed are decen't although I would personally go for the corsair model, just a better warrenty and customer service than anything MSI.

Good Luck!

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
I mean the 6800xt does really well at 1440p still, but the 6900xt isn't too much more in some places and its just a little bit faster. The 6800xt anyway with More Power Tool can match a 3080ti in a lot of titles with no ray tracing of course.

the 7600 wont be a bottleneck, its plenty fast enough, and as for PSU, an 850 is actually a lot for it, Plenty of people who run a non ref 6800xt on a 650watt as long as the PSU is ya know, decen't which both of them that you have listed are decen't although I would personally go for the corsair model, just a better warrenty and customer service than anything MSI.

Good Luck!

Hey, thanks for the reply, The MSI PSU goes for a bit cheaper, but I heard the cables on that one were stiff, the reason I chose 850w is so that I have headroom to upgrade, or should I just pick a cheaper PSU and then when push comes to shove, also upgrade the PSU alongside the GPU? . The 6900 XT goes for 800 - 950 which isn't really worth it for me considering I'd just pay for a 7900 XT at that point.

RT in the RE Engine seems quite doable for the 6800 XT, I wouldn't mind playing without it either, having it is a really nice bonus though. Regarding 1440p, how big of a performance drop would it be to go Ultrawide 2k instead of 2560? I was originally looking into either a curved 27" or curved 32" model any recommendations?

Last edited: