6800GT 256mb, is cpu causing a bottleneck?

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Hi all

I got 2 gig p4 cpu, 2gig ddr RAM, 120 gig hdd, and 6800 gt 256 mb card.

I know my cpu is causing bottleneck, If I were to upgrade CPU only that
would cost me lot less than going for new cpu+mobo+memory combo(eg athlon64
route).

What I want is upgrade CPU to like 2.8 gig p4...is that a good upgrade for
atleast 1 yr???

Also my mobo is VIA p4pb400-fl, what kinda processor speed this mobo can
handle easy and what core of the processor eg northwood or prescott or
either?

cheers

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah purchasing a 2.8gig processor would last you another year. You could
also overclock it slightly. I say slightly because your motherboard doesn't
have a pci/agp lock.

In my own opinion I would purchase the northwood core due to the lower power
requirements.

Dan

SP

it doesn't really matter what cpu u'll buy it will always be the bottleneck.
i read somewhere that even an athlon FX55 cant give a 6800GT/Ultra
instructions quick enough. but basically the faster the cpu the more
instructions. i personally got a 2.8GHz (800FSB) northwood core and it does
me fine. i have seen around a 3.4GHz northwood but they are rare to find.
basically i would upgrade everything to the latest stuff u can afford or do
what i did and buy the system bit by bit, i.e. CPU & motherboard & RAM
first, then bigger HDD and so on.

hope this helps

sp

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"sp" <die.all.spammers@bloodbath.com> wrote in message
> it doesn't really matter what cpu u'll buy it will always be the
bottleneck.
> i read somewhere that even an athlon FX55 cant give a 6800GT/Ultra
> instructions quick enough. but basically the faster the cpu the more
> instructions. i personally got a 2.8GHz (800FSB) northwood core and it
does
> me fine. i have seen around a 3.4GHz northwood but they are rare to find.
> basically i would upgrade everything to the latest stuff u can afford or
do
> what i did and buy the system bit by bit, i.e. CPU & motherboard & RAM
> first, then bigger HDD and so on.
>
> hope this helps

But if he buys a new CPU and motherboard he'll have to stay with AGP because
the investment he made on the 6800GT and buying a new AGP motherboard isn't
really future proofing your system.

my 2 cents

dan

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

For the small price difference ...you should buy a P4 northwood 3.0 or
3.2....

I have a P4 3.2.. same video card as you... overclocked the cpu to 3.4 and
no real difference...So I stay to 3.2 and overclock the video card to ULTRA
speed.

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
> For the small price difference ...you should buy a P4 northwood 3.0 or
> 3.2....
> "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> > Also my mobo is VIA p4pb400-fl, what kinda processor speed this mobo can
> > handle easy and what core of the processor eg northwood or prescott or
> > either?

VIA P4PB400-FL, Socket 478 motherboard. 533/400 MHz FSB, VIA
Apollo P4X400 chipset. Supports up to P4 and Celeron 3.06GHz.

Means P4B ( 533mhz ) or the newer Celerons ( 533mhz).