6800GT AGP or 6600 PCI Express?

Whats the performance difference? there is a big price difference. I dont know much about PCI express, is it really much
better than AGP?

> Whats the performance difference? there is a big price difference. I dont know much about PCI express, is it really much
> better than AGP?

PCIe currently offers no tangible performance improvment over AGP. It's
just one of several incompatible new standards being pushed by Intel
(BTX, LGA775, DDR2, SATA) to make your computer obsolete.

"Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote in message
>> Whats the performance difference? there is a big price difference. I dont
>> know much about PCI express, is it really much
>> better than AGP?
>
> PCIe currently offers no tangible performance improvment over AGP. It's
> just one of several incompatible new standards being pushed by Intel (BTX,
> LGA775, DDR2, SATA) to make your computer obsolete.\

You are right on the money with that answer. A lot of the time that's all
the manufacturers do is try to make things obsolete to increase sales which
of course is their job in life. Many advances in computer technology are
great but a lot of the time the increase in speed is minimal at best.

Well I was asking because the 6600 PCIe is about half the price of the 6800GT. Is it just as good?

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:59:22 -0600, Lachoneus <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote:

>> Whats the performance difference? there is a big price difference. I dont know much about PCI express, is it really much
>> better than AGP?
>
>PCIe currently offers no tangible performance improvment over AGP. It's
> just one of several incompatible new standards being pushed by Intel
>(BTX, LGA775, DDR2, SATA) to make your computer obsolete.

No, the 6800GT is quite a bit faster than the 6600. The 6800GT is their 2nd
fastest card now, only the 6800Ultra is faster.

wrote:

>> Whats the performance difference? there is a big price difference. I dont
know much about PCI express, is it really much
>> better than AGP?
>
>PCIe currently offers no tangible performance improvment over AGP. It's
> just one of several incompatible new standards being pushed by Intel
>(BTX, LGA775, DDR2, SATA) to make your computer obsolete.

Heres a review on the PCX video cards.
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=330

> Heres a review on the PCX video cards.
> http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=330

Oooh, you're going to be in trouble from the Usenet police calling it
PCX...

The reviews of the 6600GT are pretty complimentary (just Google
"6600GT review"). The price/performance seems excellent. Trouble is, I
want a new card now (or in the next month) and need AGP. So it's the
6800GT for me!

There's a review, 6600GT vs 6800GT, here:
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/352/

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Courseyauto wrote:

>> Heres a review on the PCX video cards.
>> http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=330
>
>>Oooh, you're going to be in trouble from the Usenet police >calling it
>>PCX...
>

> I would if that's not what they were called....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-136&depa=0

Which doesn't make that nomenclature any less annoying, since it is so
easily confused with PCI-X, which Intel seems to want to make go away.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

RaceFace wrote:
> No, the 6800GT is quite a bit faster than the 6600. The 6800GT is their 2nd
> fastest card now, only the 6800Ultra is faster.

But you can't buy the Ultra version yet. AFAIK even the U version
is not available, which is thought to be faster than the GT, too.

> "husker" <husker3in4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Well I was asking because the 6600 PCIe is about half the price of the
>>6800GT. Is it just as good?

>>>PCIe currently offers no tangible performance improvment over AGP. It's
>>> just one of several incompatible new standards being pushed by Intel
>>>(BTX, LGA775, DDR2, SATA) to make your computer obsolete.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"News Reader" <sorry@folks.edu> wrote in message
> RaceFace wrote:
>> No, the 6800GT is quite a bit faster than the 6600. The 6800GT is their
>> 2nd fastest card now, only the 6800Ultra is faster.
>
> But you can't buy the Ultra version yet.

Eh? Of course you can. Its certainly in stock in the UK.

Chip

No problem buying it here in europe, the netherlands.
But it's a bit overkill, in my humble opinion offcourse :)
The ultra cost much much and is only a little bit fater than the gt.

regards,
Marcel

"News Reader" <sorry@folks.edu> schreef in bericht

Chip wrote:

> "News Reader" <sorry@folks.edu> wrote in message
>
>>RaceFace wrote:
>>
>>>No, the 6800GT is quite a bit faster than the 6600. The 6800GT is their
>>>2nd fastest card now, only the 6800Ultra is faster.
>>
>>But you can't buy the Ultra version yet.
>

> Eh? Of course you can. Its certainly in stock in the UK.

I ordered the 6800Ultra in July and it could NOT be delivered until now!
Do you know a place where one really can buy it - not just order?!?

Regards

> Chip wrote:
>
>> "News Reader" <sorry@folks.edu> wrote in message

>>>But you can't buy the Ultra version yet.
>>

>> Eh? Of course you can. Its certainly in stock in the UK.
>
> I ordered the 6800Ultra in July and it could NOT be delivered until now!
> Do you know a place where one really can buy it - not just order?!?

Yup.

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/bfgr68256uocuk

They definitely have stock in now.

Chip