wayde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I just got a 6800gt, it's an asus model that only has two DVI outputs. I didn't realize this when I bought it but I only have a VGA monitor, I have no need to buy an LCD now.

Using the adaptor to convert from DVI to VGA is something I generally don't trust. Will I suffer a performance hit using the adaptor? Should I just take this card back while I still can?

Thanks for any opinions

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
you won't see any performance hit using that signal converter

in FACT, virtually all DVI outputs feature an anologue channel anyways, all this converter does is use that channel and ignore the rest

wayde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Great news! Thanks a lot for the info.

What gives with drivers these days? Okay, it's been awhile for me being an old timer.

In my day we used to go to Nvidia's site and grab the reference driver for the chip our board used. I go to Nvidia's site now and it seems to know nothing of a 6800GT. I have found talk on the web of a Force something or other.

The board I have is the N6800GT by Asus. The driver is dated Nov '04. Does anyone have some reading to point me to?

I look forward to dusting off my lateral epicondlyitis and other reptitive stress injuries I've incurred over the years from playing the old versions of Duke Nukem, Hexen, ROT and Quake. I look forward to shooting 'em up again. Doom3 and FEAR await.

Thanks

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Nvidia, and I believe ATI for that matter use a Unified Driver scheme.

one download, one set of files for every card in that product line

that means ALL Geforce cards, from the original FX to the new 7800GTX's use the same set of drivers. just download the newest ones (8.1.9.8 i believe) off nvidia's site

wayde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Thanks, I suspected something like that and was doing a bit of research on this. You just made it easier.

I'll give it a try when I get home.