6800GT wipes the floor with 800Pro

"Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in <mtiGc.1132$vH5.478@amstwist00>:

>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040705/index.html
>
>FarCry 1.2 patch leaves little room for doubt. 6800 on the other hand
>gives a disappionting performance when AA and AF are enabled.

Farcry Patch 1.3 will future 3dc compression!

Wich gives ATI hardware ( R420 based ) about a speed bump of 10% ...so that
puts it all back in reference!

In the end, both cards are fine cards...

Dark Avenger wrote:
> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in <mtiGc.1132$vH5.478@amstwist00>:
>

>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040705/index.html
>>
>>FarCry 1.2 patch leaves little room for doubt. 6800 on the other hand
>>gives a disappionting performance when AA and AF are enabled.
>>

> Farcry Patch 1.3 will future 3dc compression!
>
> Wich gives ATI hardware ( R420 based ) about a speed bump of 10% ...so that
> puts it all back in reference!
>
> In the end, both cards are fine cards...

On compressed normal maps, 3dc only gives a marginal increase. The
difference between DXT5 and 3dc on everything else is negligible. I'm
not positive, but 3dc seems to be using some wavelet compression maybe?

I'd much rather have ARB compression or a standard DX compressed texture
than a proprietary feature. S3 learned that the hard way.

"Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in <mtiGc.1132$vH5.478@amstwist00>:
>
> >http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040705/index.html
> >
> >FarCry 1.2 patch leaves little room for doubt. 6800 on the other hand
> >gives a disappionting performance when AA and AF are enabled.
> >

> Farcry Patch 1.3 will future 3dc compression!
>
> Wich gives ATI hardware ( R420 based ) about a speed bump of 10% ...so
that
> puts it all back in reference!
>
> In the end, both cards are fine cards...

Agreed but as usual, the deciding factor is the same old lackluster CAT
drivers, 4.6/4.7 are following the SOS -"fix some things/break even more"
that has been the norm since the early 3.x series.
OTOH, even "betas" such as the 61.71 set just keep playing everything thrown
at them and still work fine for games of 1-2 yrs ago.
---

"ginfest" <ginfest1@hotmail.com> wrote in
<WgxGc.32224$%_6.2371@attbi_s01>:

>"Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
>> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in
>> <mtiGc.1132$vH5.478@amstwist00>:
>>
>> >http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040705/index.html
>> >
>> >FarCry 1.2 patch leaves little room for doubt. 6800 on the other hand
>> >gives a disappionting performance when AA and AF are enabled.
>> >

>> Farcry Patch 1.3 will future 3dc compression!
>>
>> Wich gives ATI hardware ( R420 based ) about a speed bump of 10% ...so
>that
>> puts it all back in reference!
>>
>> In the end, both cards are fine cards...
>
>Agreed but as usual, the deciding factor is the same old lackluster CAT
>drivers, 4.6/4.7 are following the SOS -"fix some things/break even
>more" that has been the norm since the early 3.x series.
>OTOH, even "betas" such as the 61.71 set just keep playing everything
>thrown at them and still work fine for games of 1-2 yrs ago.
>---

In the end... we only only can say "we shall see how things pack out"

Maybe nvidia indeed wins in the end this round... would be nice.. to see
nvidia back in charge! Ati's R300 adventure has really pushed nvidia to
produce a great piece of hardware again!

> On compressed normal maps, 3dc only gives a marginal increase.

The advantage of 3dc is that the graphics look way
better,, it isn't about the speed.

Jeff B

"Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> schreef in bericht
> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in <mtiGc.1132$vH5.478@amstwist00>:
>
> >http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040705/index.html
> >
> >FarCry 1.2 patch leaves little room for doubt. 6800 on the other hand
> >gives a disappionting performance when AA and AF are enabled.
> >

> Farcry Patch 1.3 will future 3dc compression!
>
> Wich gives ATI hardware ( R420 based ) about a speed bump of 10% ...so
that
> puts it all back in reference!
>
> In the end, both cards are fine cards...

True, but after seeing this I would be hard pressed if I have to pay 430?
(living in Netherlands) not to choose the GT. Other story if the 800 would
cost 40? (or more) less.
Rumour has is that Ati is going to lower the price of the Pro from $399 to
299, a wise move if you ask me.

I'm definately going with the Geforce, even if it were slower the driver
support would be worth the performance hit in my book any day.

Jeff B wrote:

>> On compressed normal maps, 3dc only gives a marginal increase.
>

> The advantage of 3dc is that the graphics look way
> better,, it isn't about the speed.
>
> Jeff B

It's mostly due to the internal compression algorithem, it uses a more
modern method akin to JPeg2000 than a standard DCT. This leads to a
higher IQ at the same compressed size.

However, unless ATI opens up the standard and submits it for the next
ARB standard or DX revision, it's worthless as a whole as most card
specific proprietary features. Especially when an already standardized
method is supported by all current hardware and does nearly as good.

Nic

> I'm definately going with the Geforce, even if it were slower the driver
> support would be worth the performance hit in my book any day.

6800GT FOREVER. NO DOUBT

> However, unless ATI opens up the standard and submits it for the next
> ARB standard or DX revision, it's worthless as a whole

3dc is worthless??? Half Life2 has already announced that they will use
this 3dc tech. I've seen sceenshots of HL2 on ATi w/3dc compared
to same shots on nvidia card (w/o 3dc). The difference is huge.
Go to www.beyond3d.com to see 3dc maps compared to regular.
This is the sole reason I'm switching from nvidia to ATI, seeing is
believing.

Jeff B

These tests are absolutely worthless because the benchmarks were
hand picked by nvidia. Go to anands site and check out his eval.
In the nvidia handpicked demos, 6800U eaked out a small
victory. In the anand unbiased the-only-ones-that-count
benchmarks, the x800XT PE smeared the 6800U.

Jeff B

Jeff B <fake@addy.com> wrote in <dgVGc.38470$a24.12529@attbi_s03>:

>> However, unless ATI opens up the standard and submits it for the next
>> ARB standard or DX revision, it's worthless as a whole
>
>3dc is worthless??? Half Life2 has already announced that they will use
>this 3dc tech. I've seen sceenshots of HL2 on ATi w/3dc compared
>to same shots on nvidia card (w/o 3dc). The difference is huge.
>Go to www.beyond3d.com to see 3dc maps compared to regular.
>This is the sole reason I'm switching from nvidia to ATI, seeing is
>believing.
>

>Jeff B

Well, looking at it's performance and capabilities..it's surely one thing
that one day finds itself into an Directx version..maybe even in DirectNext!

But this technique allows definitly for a boost in speed, while being
capable of drawing great detail!

And such technique's always find their way into standards.....