Question 6800k for gaming/video editing

TheGray

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Hello, I want to build a desktop PC mainly for gaming, some video editing maybe streaming, I looked at the current prices for components and it's a very interesting scalped situation. So I wondered if an older cpu will do, older but high end at that time.
I can buy a 6800k or 6900k will it hold to modern games and requirements? Or since it's old I can't use it for long before it gets obsolete. Also is ~150usd/200 USD ok in the price? Thank You!

A 10600K would be less expensive (factoring in new mainboard cost) and faster....

The 6900K was ridiculously expensive, and, often held on to it's value, despite the 7900K offering as many cores for less and being a bit faster, as folks try/tried to at least get their money back from initial 6900K pricing...

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGray

TheGray

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Sorry for the late reply I had a busy week, I went for the 6800k, I did consider the 10600k but the lowest price I could find it at was 430 USD new and believe me I looked at pretty much every retailer in my country. I don't know If I got it cheap but cpu+motherboard was 250 USD, mobo is Asus x-99 A II.

TheGray

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
I finished the build but I ran into another problem. I have the cooler master 240 lite installed and the fans make a weird noise. The noise is like the fan is grinding against something, (I took one fan out completely) same thing. They need to be greased or something? It's really disturbing to hear all the time, even with pwm silent it's still noticeable but significantly more quiet.