Question 6800XT only drawing 75W power, rarely using fans but somehow 51C under full load??? Fps only marginally better than 1070, stuttery as heck.

Thatoneguy0125

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
Just a 6800xt. So far... not impressed at all. I uninstalled my nvidia drivers, and installed AMDs newest one. I'm only playing at 1080p, and hunt showdown (which ran at 70 fps solid) is only running at maybe 90fps? It is also VERY stuttery on every game I play. I turned off all the random <Mod Edit> AMD tried to use such as anti-lag, which all that did when turned on make me feel as if I had 20 fps (no real fps change though). My fans aren't turning on much, and the little display the amd software has is saying at 90% usage my temps are around 50C... no way that's possible. It also says my gpu pwr is 75 most of the time, other times it's in the mid 60s, isn't it supposed to draw like....300W?

any help would be appreciated, I'm new to AMD. I know this is not normal.

Edit: my specs (duh) :
i7-8700k
16gb 3200 DDR4
Aorous z370 G5
EVGA 850W GOLD
6800XT

Also, I used DDU to uninstall the drivers after someone suggested it.

EDIT 2: I've somehow made it able to run like 270W on bf4 and at 4K it ran buttery smooth, but that is the only game I've gotten it to draw power for. Why? It's straight up crashing some games too without an error message.

EDIT 3: here's a video of me running BF5 at 1080p ultra settings, the exact same settings my 1070 could handle without a problem. It doesn't record my performance monitor, but it was saying 120+ fps the entire time. If you don't want to watch the video, there is a good example at 0:30 -0:34 as to what it's been doing.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIi5C_hdQ8o&ab_channel=sadisticbadger1

Last edited:

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
You need to run DDU, possibly twice to get rid of residual Nvidia stuff then again for new AMD drivers, then start from scratch. Make sure you don't have afterburner or any old settings from that running either. Also make sure you use two individual 8 pin cables to the GPU and not the single wire with the daisy chain.

Thatoneguy0125

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
You need to run DDU, possibly twice to get rid of residual Nvidia stuff then again for new AMD drivers, then start from scratch. Make sure you don't have afterburner or any old settings from that running either. Also make sure you use two individual 8 pin cables to the GPU and not the single wire with the daisy chain.

I just did the DDU to remove everything, and then reinstalled the AMD drivers. I am also using two cables and not the daisy chained one.

Did you take into consideration that the 8700k you have, while a solid CPU, is what's holding you and your new GPU back? There's a big difference between a 1070 and that 6800XT. I'm not saying that this the definitive issue here, but I have a feeling it IS one which could be a part of your problem. You've got more than enough PSU for that card, so it's not being power limited.

Anecdote being what it is, I offer up my own experience: Prior to building my 5800X based rig, I was running an FX8350 and was using an OC'd 1080. I wasn't getting remotely close to the frames I was expecting out of that GPU. When I put it in my new rig, it was like night and day in that I'd uncorked the restriction and allowed the card to breathe. It made a huge difference in my gaming in general. I now have a 3080 and it's even better with it.

Again, what I've mentioned may not be the sole concern here... but it is going to limit your ability to get the most from that card until you upgrade the guts of your rig. One of my gaming buddies was running into a similar concern with the same CPU and a 3080Ti. That 8700K just doesn't have enough computing power for that GPU. :confused_old:

Last edited: