680i Motherboard Recommendations?

Cerro

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Alright I've pretty much nailed down a spec for my new PC and I really want to use a 680i mobo but which one?

Processor will at first be a E4300, so overclocking ability is a must and later a Quad Core (when they are widely available at resonable prices). My two leading candidates are the ASUS Extreme Striker and the Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6.

ABit IN9 seems unable to overclock well due to the multiplier being locked. But otherwise seems to be a decent board.
MSI has a poor rep for OC boards and the Diamond is yet to be released in any event and I've no idea when its going to appear.
ASUS P5N32-E seems very buggy and poorly supported right now.
EVGA largely unproven to me and it had some nasty problems most of which are fixed with the latest BIOS but still can be hit or miss from the sound of things.
ECS/BFG - seem like the same as the EVGA board to me with cosmetic differences.

The striker is sold out everywhere I look but now looks like a solid board and is the best for OCing so far. The Gigabyte has yet to be released and I know some reviews are close to being released and indications are that it will equal the striker performance wise, is cheaper and has more features! But the board (i am told) won't appear until mid-late Feb and since my gaming PC is dead, I don't really want to wait that long but the 10 SATA ports and non-reference design of the board seems very appealing to me.

In other words I'm looking for a feature laden, largely stable (or well supported) 680i board with good OC potential - not insane since I want my new rig to last 1-2yrs but good.

Cerro

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Well I'd get the Striker if anywhere in the UK still had it in stock (and not at an outrageous price).

IN9 seems like the only decent board I can get my hands on at the moment but you can't increase the multiplyer on it and its price is a tad high for something that doesn't give impressive benchmarks :(
Unless anyone is able to overclock it well and get some very good performance out of it?

Gigabyte still seems to be my preferred option - just hope its here sooner rather than later.

NeoRecon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I just got my IN9. Granted the results are limited so far, but the BIOS is still in it's initial release, so it can only get better. It's less than the Striker, and it is available. I was hoping to get the Striker, but it doesn't seem to be fairing much better and its been out for alot longer than the IN9.