kellenheller

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Long story short I'm not good with computer tech's and would like to know if this new graphics card can run crysis 2?

Gigabyte AMD Radeon 1GB GDDR5 HD 6850

Solution

both should be fine. GTA 4 was known to benefit from quad cores processors. based on the spec listed your pc should have quad processor:

http://www.retrevo.com/s/HP-p6620f-Desktops-review-manual/id/23806ci675/t/1-2/

it didn't mention about power supply but i assume your unit was installed with 250w-300w since most OEM system that came without discrete gpu will come with such PSU. that's means you're going to need better PSU for 6850 to work

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

More than likely you are going to have more issues than the 6850 being able to run Crysis 2.

You would need a new power supply for starters, around 600W. ~$50

HP cases aren't known for their air cooling so your card is probably going to have a hard time breathing in the case, if it fits inside of the case that is. The card could be too big for it.

Not sure exactly what all to list for you because I have no clue what is inside the pc but yea :/

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Case dimensions (back pci slot to front of case)

the card is 9.06 inches long, 4.96 inches wide so you need that much space inside the case for it to fit.

What is the cpu/mobo/ram and what resolution is his monitor?

Speccy to check system specs

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Right Click Desktop > Screen Resolution >

to find the resolution of the monitor in windows 7

kellenheller

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Dimensions are 16.8x7x15.03

AMD Phenom II X4 820
Deneb 45nm Technology

Motherboard
FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1)

RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)

Resolution is 1920x1080

for that resolution the performance will surely drop when you enabled tessellation. the tessellation aspect in crysis 2 was known to be 'over' done which will make the gpu crawl. with my GTX460 (which perform closely to 6850) will suffer from lower frame rate especially when moving out doors. in some area my frame rates will drop around 20 fps and that with 1600x900 res

Make sure to run FRAPS and monitor the frame rate.

If the screen tearing doesn't bother you, you may wish to aim for about 40FPS average.

IF the screen tearing DOES bother you, then you'll want to be running at a solid 30FPS or 60FPS (for 30FPS you can get that with RadeonPro and the Tweak->half VSYNC option).

Do NOT download and run the HD texture pack.

Summary:
You can absolutely run Crysis 2 once you sort out the power supply issue (if needed) but you definitely need to spend time tweaking the game.

VSYNC is a feature that allows the game to synchronize with the screen to avoid the screen tearing issues. In some games they're quite bad.

Running at 30FPS instead of 60FPS means a lot better picture AND allows you to use VSYNC (RadeonPro) but the low frame rate may seem sluggish.

The bottom line is that an HD6850 can play Crysis 2 with that CPU but you'll have to do some tweaking to get the best result.

Resolution:
You'd probably be better off with 1600x900

both should be fine. GTA 4 was known to benefit from quad cores processors. based on the spec listed your pc should have quad processor:

http://www.retrevo.com/s/HP-p6620f-Desktops-review-manual/id/23806ci675/t/1-2/

it didn't mention about power supply but i assume your unit was installed with 250w-300w since most OEM system that came without discrete gpu will come with such PSU. that's means you're going to need better PSU for 6850 to work

Solution